Who are Quartz Hill’s Track Runners?

Picture by Hanna Hoang

Spring is fast approaching and so is Quartz Hill High School’s track season of 2017. Many students are waiting to show their running skills and hopefully win titles for Quartz Hill.

Track season officially began mid-February. The majority of the students that wanted to participate were previously cross-country runners. Although some runners have had experience with running for Quartz Hill, others are freshmen or just want to try out a new sport.

Grecia Chavez stated, “My experience with running consists of one season of cross country this year, and I am currently attending track practices.” Chavez is coached by Coach Mac, who is the coach of the girl’s track team and the distance team.

Grecia also said, “I feel pretty confident about this season besides the fact that there are only a few long distance girls, but I know we will make a strong team. My favorite thing about my team is how we all push each other, give advice, and find some way to laugh even on the hardest days.”

As a fairly new runner, Chavez wants to improve and race in many events. She stated, “I really want to improve on threshold workouts and minimizing my mental blocks. I want to race the mile.”

Another runner, Brandon Garcia, stated, “I began to run in high school with only one season of both cross country and track. Running has turned out to be a great decision, as I look back at it all.”

He further explained, “I have high hopes for this season. It has only been a couple weeks into training, and I can already begin to tell how strong a team we have. Coming from me, my favorite part of track is being with friends. It is a bit of a relief from schoolwork, although either option still leaves me exhausted.”

Brandon likes track because it allows him to meet new friends and it takes his mind off of school. Garcia wants to improve on his speed, saying, “Cross country boosted my endurance, so now I am looking to balance it all out. I will be doing the 800 and most likely the 1600.”

With track’s first meet coming up on Saturday, March 4th, Quartz Hill High’s track team is definitely a group to keep an eye on throughout this year, as they are preparing for a successful season.