Boys’ Varsity Basketball

Picture by Daniel Cho

The upcoming season for the QHHS boys’ varsity basketball team is going to be a learning experience for all of the young and talented players. With currently only nine players on the team, including six sophomores and only three juniors, the team has a lot of preparing to do in order to have a chance to become the 2016-2017 Golden League Champions.

After interviewing two of the sophomores on the team, we have some insights to the Quartz Hill Varsity team. Agustin Bancalari is a 5’9, shooting guard for the Quartz Hill basketball team. As a young boy, Bancalari began to love the game of basketball after a friend from elementary school  introduced him to it. A team player, he would like to help contribute all that he can to help his team win every single game.

Bancalari stated, “My goal is to make the most out of what we have and do my part.” After being asked on what needs to be improved in the team, he responded, “We need to get better at moving the ball and executing our plays.” Agustin believes that Highland High School is their main rival in the Golden League as of now, and he is looking forward to playing against them this upcoming season. With the newly picked Varsity team, Agustin believes that they need some adjustments before being able to win a Golden League Championship Title.

As a 5’6 point guard for the Quartz Hill Varsity team, Shemar Fisher is a force to be reckoned with.  Having been influenced into playing basketball by his uncle, Derek Fisher, a five time NBA champion who played for the Los Angeles Lakers, Fisher is a player with skill and determination. As a player, his goal is to be a great role model and help his team bring home victories.

When asked what needs to be improved amongst the team, he replied, “We need a big man.” He believes that Quartz Hill has the skills, but not the decent size. Without a big man to help crash the boards, the Quartz Hill Rebels are sometimes at a disadvantage.

Fisher is confident, and he thinks Quartz Hill can beat every team in the AV. He believes that Littlerock is their main rival. After Fisher was asked about what his thoughts are about winning Golden League, he responded, “Yes, I know we have what it takes to win Golden League this year.” Being a varsity starting point guard as a sophomore, Shemar Fisher would like to succeed in playing basketball and hopefully one day get drafted into the NBA.

Although Quartz Hill’s varsity team is filled with young players, they definitely have what it takes and can truly make an impact in this league.