Quartz Hill’s Newest Swimmers

Nathan+Garcia

Picture by Hanna Hoang

Nathan Garcia

As the second semester at Quartz Hill High begins, so will the swim season of 2017. Many swimmers look forward to spending time with their new team and having fun in the water.

Quartz Hill High School’s swim team is one of the largest and most successful programs –  a factor that has played to its rapid growth. This year, the tryouts had a great turnout with an estimated fifty incoming swimmers ready to jump in the water. Several students had years of experience in swimming, while others were completely new, hoping for an opportunity to learn a new sport. A majority of the students were freshmen, but sophomores, juniors, and seniors tried out as well.

Nathan Garcia, an incoming swimmer, stated, “I have been swimming for about two and a half years, and I think that this will be a great season for me.  I think that our team has some good potential and is a very fun team.” Garcia’s favorite stroke is butterfly, and he enjoys the coaches and people on the swim team. He also enjoys the positive energy of the team.

Another new swimmer, Nassim Tavakoli, said, “I took lessons for a while when I was younger and quit to put more time in gymnastics. After an injury, I decided to pick up swimming again.” Nassim enjoys swimming backstroke and being with her friends on the team, and she wishes for a great season.

Hanna Hoang
Helia Hedayati

Helia Hedayati explained, “I really love swimming because I have so many people around me that inspire me. I have been swimming since I was seven.” She further stated, “I think this season will be very competitive because there are a lot of people that are doing swim.” Hedayati has a great interest in the sport of swimming, and her favorite stroke is the breaststroke.

The new swimmers are just the beginning. Soon, all of them will be in the pool, practicing for their upcoming meets. Students will definitely be hearing much about the Quartz Hill Swim team this year, as it is going to be a very successful season.

Although the weather has not been looking up lately, all Quartz Hill swimmers, old and new, endure the cold and just keep swimming.