Varsity Baseball Overview

Picture by Picasa

One of the most popular teams at Quartz Hill High, the boys’ varsity baseball team dominates the Antelope Valley. Although only Division 3 bound, all athletes are worthy of playing at the Division 1 level.

This year’s varsity baseball team is filled with a variety of sophomores, juniors, and seniors. A notable sophomore is Ryan Sanders, one of the pitchers for the Quartz Hill Baseball team. During an interview, Ryan stated, “Our team has been playing really well together since we started playing for the preseason games. Everyone is having good approaches at the plate and is batting very well.” The most important thing for a team is the players’ abilities to work together, and Ryan strongly believes that they epitomize teamwork. The players are so close that many players are on the same travel team outside of school.

With preseason games already over and with the regular season underway, the Rebel boys are doing better than ever. With the record of 6-0, the Quartz Hill varsity team has a chance of becoming League champions.

The Rebel’s impressive record can be attributed to their persistence and confidence. During one of the tournament games, Quartz Hill was down 8-5 in the last inning; however, the team pulled it together in the final minutes. By the end of the inning, they scored 11 consecutive points to victory.

In the Golden League, the Quartz Hill Rebels reigned over every other team. They blew out Eastside High School with the score of 17-8 and also defeated Canyon High School with the score of 11-4. During the latter game, the Quartz Hill Rebels broke a CIF record of most triples in one game. The Rebels ended up having around 7 triples that game, which is a huge accomplishment. With the help of Ryan Sanders, Connor Levenson, Christian Epley, Jonathan Cornish, and Tyler Vargas, the Rebels were easily able to defeat Canyon and break a CIF record.

With an overall record of 16-5 so far, the Rebels will play their next game against their rival, Highland High School. With many more games to come, we can definitely expect to see our Rebels making it to the CIF playoffs once more.