Zac Conte and the Boys’ Varsity Volleyball Team Dominate the Valley

Picture by T ASHLEY HARVEY

Zachary Conte setting up a spike

Out of all the sports Quartz Hill has to offer, their boys’ varsity volleyball team is on a whole other level. Undefeated for the past four years in their league, they have proven that they are the greatest volleyball team in the Antelope Valley.

Every great team has an experienced coach to guide them through the journey. In the case of the Quartz Hill Rebels, the coaching staff for the boys’ varsity volleyball team is outstanding. Led by head coach Patrick Studdert and assistant coach Ryan Kachold, the boys’ varsity team is in good hands. Patrick Studdert, who was also a student at Quartz Hill, played on the varsity volleyball team and later played in college. Ryan Kachold is currently serving as a teacher here at Quartz Hill High, and he also played at UCLA for two years. With the experienced coaches, the student-athletes are able to develop their skills every day in order to be successful during games.

One athlete that stands out is a 5’11” sophomore on the varsityteam named Zac Conte. Ever since being inspired by his older sister to try out for the volleyball team, Zac fell in love with the game. As a sixth grader, he began to play volleyball and soon made his middle school team. After two years of success at Joe Walker Middle School, he was able to make it onto the Quartz Hill JV team as a freshmen and later on to varsity this year.

As a team player, Zac Conte does not only want to improve his own strengths, but his team’s performance as well. “There is always room for improvement. There are, of course, a lot of things I personally need to improve on and [we need to] also improve on as a team. Since the team is going to change next year, due to the graduating seniors, it is hard to pinpoint areas which need to be improved.” He firmly believes that their team will have no trouble working together due to their strong chemistry on and off the court.  

As only a sophomore on varsity, Zac still has many things to learn and improve. With two years left of high school, he will be able to strengthen not only himself, but his teammates as well. Soon., with the seniors graduating, he and other upcoming juniors and seniors will have to step up as leaders and take charge of the hard working team. Zac Conte predicts a great future for the boys’ varsity volleyball team, and he hopes to win a CIF championship one day. With all of the hard work and dedication that each player puts into the team, there is no doubt that this high school team will fulfill their goals as champions.