The Hawaiian Dance

Picture by Amrita Sandhu

Students said, “Aloha!” to the new school year with the welcome back dance last Friday. The annual dance this year was Hawaiian-themed and brought the freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior classes together. ASB put numerous hours into this event to make it a great success.

“We had a work day after school. In the mornings, we made a poster trying to publicize the dance,” said Karina Patel, an ASB member.

The decorations were well-made for the limited amount of time they had. At the entrance, members were passing out lei’s to everyone. The photo booth, located near the entry, was colorful with a detailed border of flowers. Several different lights were beaming through the quad setting an upbeat mood. The DJ played several hits, which made it a very enjoyable experience and easy to dance.

Any school dance is a large task to handle and ASB had only a week to get the dance prepared. Most of the attention was given to the freshman dance, a couple days before the first day of school.

Eileen McGregor, also a member of the student council, said, “ASB did a lot of work throughout the entire week, just to get it done for today. We had a lot of decisions made and we made committees. We all came an hour early, and we also had a work day on Wednesday.”

One of the toughest decisions ASB had to decide on was the date to hold the event. Friday, August 12th would have been too early to finish the preparations, while the 26th would be too close to the Homecoming dance. This left ASB with no other choice than to make the dance on the 19th, the same day as the opening of the AV fair. However, many were surprised with the turnout, which almost rivaled the 300 to 400 people who came to Freshman dance.

ASB also worked during the dance and switched shifts throughout the night. Shifts included guarding the exits and entrances, working the snack bar, and selling and collecting tickets. In addition, members made sure that all individuals were having fun.

“I think the dance is very well orchestrated,” said Josh Ramirez, a returning rebel.

The majority of the students immensely enjoyed the welcome back dance. Various others have given positive feedback on their thoughts about the event. They expressed their appreciation to ASB for all the hard work put in to compose such an occasion.