The Relationship Between School and Garbage

Picture by Nikil Sunku

There is garbage all over Quartz Hill High School. The ground and the walls are practically made of gum. The buildings are ruined, and the paint on the walls has faded. The signs are destroyed, some windows have broken, and there is graffiti practically everywhere.

How are the students to focus on their education when they are constantly distracted by the dirty state of their campus?

Lauren Camera, a journalist for US News, states in her article, Federal School Funding: Where does the Money Go?, that government spending on education has surged over the last decade and a half, yet the cleanliness of Quartz Hill High School has declined.

It is understandable that each school has a set budget for a range of activities, but money should also be put into its sanitation.

There are a few possible solutions to this problem. It is obvious the main reason for the dirtiness of our school is the students. So, the school board could gather and create new sets of rules to regulate the amount of trash on campus. Students need to see the consequences of their actions and there needs to be a change in the execution of consequences to help accomplish that goal.

The schools need to also hire more custodians. This will cost more, but it is an investment every school should take for their students.

Counselors and staff members could also help promote recycling. This will have a number of benefits, including the tidiness of the school and, on a larger scale, the slowing of global warming.

With a few buckets of paint, some brooms, and some volunteers, the students can set an example for other students and school board members. Whatever the case may be, there needs to be action taken to help clean our schools.