What is Spanish Club?

Picture by Amrita Sandhu

Spanish Club is an association in which active club participants can expand their understanding on the Hispanic culture and tradition. Oftentimes, there is a common misconception of what it takes to be a member, but all that is required is simply showing up to the meetings. Members meet every other Wednesday in room 238 for A lunch and in room 107 for B lunch.

Sophomore Candice Shahidy states, “What I find most fun about this club is the environment with all the different kids. It is such a diverse mix and everyone is so comfortable with each other. It truly feels like we are all one big family.” People from all different ethnic backgrounds come together and enjoy various cultural activities while creating new friendships.

Quetzali Garcia Cuamea conveys, “Spanish Club has taught me to be proud of where I come from and to express my culture without shame. Being president taught me to be organized and take charge in situations. I decided to run because I have been an active member since freshman year, and I was really close with the presidents, and officers from the last two years and they said I would be a good fit.” Individuals involved in this club can truly express themselves and learn more about Hispanic culture just by being an active contributor to the club.

Homecoming 2016 was one of the largest and successful events that Spanish Club has ever had. At the assembly, the Spanish dance team had an amazing performance from which they received positive feedback from the audience. In preparation for the carnival, members met outside of school and filled up 229 boxes of fruit. At the carnival, officers were in charge of the booth and sold all 229 boxes in 35 minutes, making $600. All of the money sold became profit because the boxes and fruit were donations from members.

For this year, officers have goals to make it the largest club on campus. In addition, they want to go on more field trips, host more parties and potlucks, and diffuse Hispanic culture throughout the school.

During the second semester, Spanish Club annually organizes the Cinco de Mayo Assembly, where different dances will be performed that exhibit Hispanic culture. For the Multicultural Assembly, they plan on performing a more traditional dance called “Calabaceado.”

The newly planned and upcoming event is the Day of the Dead Dance, and it will be held in the small gym on November 10, from 7 to 11 pm. This event will incorporate a DJ, face painting, and some drinks. If this function is a success, there will be another one for the following year.