A Midsummer Night’s Dream Play: Review

Picture by Amrita Sandhu

After two and a half months of preparation, Quartz Hill’s Drama Club performed a dual production of both Hamlet and A Midsummer Night’s Dream.  This event was held on December 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the 200 quad cafeteria, and tickets were sold for $5 with ASB card and $7 without.

The performance opened with a short and sweet interpretation of Hamlet. Not only did Drama Club condense the four hour play into fifteen minutes, but the actors also added a touch of humor to keep the audience engaged. Then, two more variations of Hamlet were added, each one shorter than the last. Moments after the performance of Hamlet, the actors quickly took their places for A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

The play followed the general storyline of A Midsummer Night’s Dream, but the actors added their own modern twist. For example, the costumes did not follow the traditional Shakespearean style, and instead, the actors wore items such as ripped jeans, flannel shirts, and sneakers. Additionally, the fairies from the story included an original musical number that was dynamic and kept the audience entertained.

Sona Keshishyan, a sophomore, shared some of her thoughts of the play: “Overall I enjoyed the play; it surpassed my expectations. One of my favorite parts of the play was when Bottom turned into a donkey and made hilarious noises. This was a great way to spend my Friday night!” Many enjoyed this play and were glad they came to the performance.

While numerous students came for extra credit, the play offered an amazing opportunity for students to experience live theatre. This school event differs from others because it is performed live and it allows the audience to interact with the actors. The audience’s reactions, including gasps, applause, and laughter, greatly affect the actor’s’ performance.

Sophomores especially had an advantage considering many of their English teachers recently educated their students on Shakespearean plays. After analyzing the play in immense detail, many students understood the plot before they even walked into the theatre.

Mr. Self, the Drama Club advisor, described the club’s journey: “We rehearsed for about two and a half months. Then, we had to make some personal changes, which involves a lot of editing, recasting, extra rehearsals and some changes in blocking, but just like anything else, lots of hard work.”

One of the major challenges actors encountered while performing a Shakespearean play was not only memorizing their lines, but also understanding the Shakespearean English. Drama Club spent months of hard work and dedication to work through the text.

A few weeks before the play, the cast experienced major changes that posed challenges to learn their parts. However, despite the circumstances, Quartz Hill’s Drama Club put on a fantastic production through commitment and perseverance.