Night at the Museum: The Winter Ball

Picture by Amrita Sandhu

Last Saturday, January 21st, Quartz Hill High School hosted its annual Winter Ball at the Museum of Art and History (MOAH) located on Lancaster Boulevard. Fittingly, the dance’s theme was “Night at the Museum.” Tickets were on sale for $30 with an ASB card, $35 without an ASB card, and $40 at the door. About 400 tickets were sold during pre-sale and 50 tickets were sold at the door.  Typically, the Winter Ball is planned by the sophomore class in ASB. They are responsible for choosing the venue and filling out the paperwork to arrange this event.

Kevin Flores, the sophomore class president, describes why they chose the museum for the dance: “MOAH has lots of space and we felt it would please our student body the most due to the classy feel and the roof top ceiling.” Although the art museum provided an abundant amount of space, the maximum capacity for the dance was only 450, while other dances at school usually hold close to 800.

The students who attended the dance were not confined to a single place thanks to its three level structure. The first level consisted of the check-in area and the dance floor. Above, the second floor held most of the artwork of the museum. Fortunately for ASB, minimal decorations had to be put up since the MOAH possesses a beauty of its own. Lastly, the rooftop level included a sitting area and a balcony to take pictures.

Even though the sophomores planned most of the dance, almost all ASB representatives signed up for shifts to work at the dance. Eileen McGregor, ASB associate, stated, “Shifts were divided by hours and the jobs included checking people in, passing out water and candy, and managing the polaroid booth.” In addition, there was supposed to be a song request shift, but that was quickly canceled after the DJ discovered song requests could be made possible online. To take a polaroid picture, the fee was one dollar; unfortunately, due to the popularity of the polaroid booth, the representatives instantly ran out of film. In response to this, ASB members took pictures of the dance with a digital camera.

Sophomore Mariah Hernandez shared her experience at the dance: “I really enjoyed the songs they played. I thought the dance was really fun and it was cool to have artwork in the background when I took pictures with my friends. Overall, my first Winter Ball was a great way to spend my Saturday night.” Several students shared the same feeling as Hernandez that the dance was a success.