Who is Mr. Anderson?

Mr. Anderson is the principal at Quartz Hill High School. He works hard to keep the school running smoothly. He has an interesting educational and professional story that many people may not know. His education, teaching position, and various administrative roles has made him the successful principal he is today.  

Believe it or not, Mr. Anderson was once in high school too. He played on both the baseball team and the basketball team. Most of his high school career was spent participating in sports and focusing on school. He took part in a couple of clubs as well. Mr. Anderson mentioned, “If you would have asked me, when I was in high school, what I wanted to do for a career, I would have never thought I would be a high school principal.” Although he did not imagine himself a principal, he later became one.

Mr. Anderson’s career path started with deciding what he wanted to do with his life. He had been interested in history, so he attended UCLA and earned a degree in the field. One of the main reasons he wanted to be a high school teacher was because he had a desire to coach baseball. Mr. Anderson stated, “I was a baseball player in high school and I actually played professionally for the Baltimore Orioles and New York Mets.” He received a job in the Antelope Valley at Lancaster High School teaching World History and AP World History. He also was the baseball coach at Lancaster. Around 2006, Mr. Anderson applied for a vice principal position and was hired. Later, he moved up to an assistant principal. In 2010, he became a principal.

Mr. Anderson has been the principal at many schools in the AV High School District. After being a principal at Knight High School, Palmdale High School, and AV High School, Mr. Anderson believes that Quartz Hill encompasses something different than other schools. He claims that the thing that makes Quartz Hill “unique” is the “number of students who are involved in activities like clubs and sports.” He believes that this makes Quartz Hill a positive learning environment.

Mr. Anderson explained, “My favorite part of my job is seeing the students succeed.” He enjoys going to events and watching the students’ hard work pay off in their performances. For example, last year the music students had the opportunity to perform in Carnegie Hall, which was a tremendous occasion. Students also perform at sports games and competitions. On the other hand, Mr. Anderson’s least favorite part of his job is the disciplinary aspect. The responsibility is necessary, but it is not enjoyable.

While growing up and starting his career, Mr. Anderson had several people he looked up to. “My older brothers were my role models growing up. They allowed me to see them do things, which allowed me to follow in their footsteps,” he revealed. While his personal mentors were his brothers, he also has professional role models. Dr. Vierra, the superintendent of the Antelope Valley Union High School District, is one of Mr. Anderson’s role models. He helped him learn how to do his job and do it well. The former principal of Quartz Hill and now Board Member, Barbara Willibrand, is Mr. Anderson’s other role model. She was a mentor to him when he was a young administrator and always had answers to his questions.

Mr. Anderson’s path to being a principal was not easy, but with the help of a few mentors, he achieved it. Quartz Hill High School students are lucky to have such a passionate leader who cares about their success and truly enjoys his important role at the school.