Review of the Cabaret

Picture by Amrita Sandhu

Quartz Hill’s Choir and Vocal Association hosted their annual Cabaret on March 16th and 17th of 2017. This was an event from 6:30 to 8:30 in the small gym. Tickets were sold at the door for $8 with an ASB card and $10 without. Nicholas Aguilar and Jessica Leeds were the main coordinators who ensured that the cabaret was a success. Mr. Foley, the advisor for both the Choir and Vocal Association, supervised the event.

Usually, a cabaret is a form of entertainment featuring singing and dancing in front of an audience that is served with foods and drinks. At Quartz Hill’s cabaret, several members of the choir, as well as the Rebel Dance Team, prepared songs and dance solos to perform. During the show, the hip-hop team supported choir by performing a routine they prepared specifically for this event.

The audience had a wide variety of food to eat while viewers sat back and enjoyed the show. The food included two types of mac and cheese (breaded or regular), two types of hot dogs (polish or regular), two types of pasta (spaghetti or marinara), and a sizable assortment of chips and desserts. Along with the food, there were drinks such as soda and water.

The president and vice president of the entire choir association, Nicholas Aguilar and Jessica Leeds, took the responsibility to hold auditions, assign servers for the food, coordinate the line-up, and ensure all students were ready to perform.

In preparation, the association dedicated a month solely to planning. As the event got closer, numerous uncertainties were drawn to their attention. Caitlyn Reyes, a member, shared a few of the obstacles that they encountered: “The last week of planning was extremely stressful for all members. We had doubts concerning food assignments and line-ups, but thankfully we managed to pull through.”
To prepare students to perform, members not only rehearsed in front of their peers but also held a live performance in class to ensure the performers had enough confidence to sing at the event. Reyes, a performer, reflected on her first solo: “This was my first time performing by myself in an actual show and quite honestly, it was incredible. As a child, I have always aspired to be a singer and still do to this day, and the Cabaret gave me a glimpse of my dream. All in all, performing tonight allowed me to boost my confidence in my voice and my overall stage performance.”
The association, without a doubt, can confidently say the Cabaret was a success. According to multiple members of the choir, the occasion had a great turn-out. Additionally, many of the people who came to watch the event were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the performances and service they received. One audience member, Zachary Conte, expressed his impression of the show: “This show made me realize that students have much talent that goes unrecognized. This was a great way to enjoy my Friday night.” Choir aspires to have this same impression on students for next year’s Cabaret as well.