Back To School Thoughts 2017 Edition

Picture by Shruthi Kumar

Image: Left to Right Mars Gifford (11th), Wyatt Gagnon (10th), Alysha Dijamco (10th)

Being back to school has always gotten mixed reviews from the high school population. This time, for the 2017-2018 school year, I asked a variety of students from different classes to give a little insight on their feelings about their first day back.

Freshmen

“Being back at school makes me feel excited because I know that each day I’m getting closer and closer in achieving my goal,” Tiara Estupinian said while rereading her Spanish notes.

“I feel like I am missing a part of me… like summer has left… like all the happiness was drained out of me,” Aidan Sidikpramana said, drifting off at lunch.

“I honestly like school. I know that it isn’t a popular opinion, but I really like seeing my friends,” Anthony Valencia said as he glared at me while he was writing his English essay.

“It’s pretty weird. Just the beginning of the year seems off-routine after a whole summer of doing nothing, but moving from middle school to high school feels much stranger,” Hailey Emerson said as she sat down for lunch.

Sophomores

“I feel like this school year is going to be a good one. Sophomore year is going to be challenging but well worth it at the end,” Dalila Solis grinned as she reviewed her Chemistry notes.

“I feel excited to be back to school, however, I am also nervous as I am taking a couple AP classes for the first time,” Alysha DiJamco said cheerfully as she walked into Art History.

“Not excited [for school], but it’s going good,” Edward Holguin said, sighing as he tried to study for Spanish vocabulary.

“It’s something that I’m not exactly used to because of all the APs, and we didn’t have that in freshman year, but I know that it’s beneficial, that it will pay off in the end,” Janella Miguel said, neatly organizing her desk space.

“It’s cool to be back and chill out with friends, the homework is still annoying though.” Wyatt Gagnon said while passing me in the hallways.

Juniors

“I am very excited about going back to school. However, I didn’t realize just how much work I have this year with eight classes and marching band,” Mars Gifford said as she whipped ironically in the 300 quad.

“Super excited for my heavy load of classes. Note the sarcasm,” Ruby Zhang said, playing with a piece of her hair.

“Being back at school feels like another chance to make new memories that will last forever,” Christabel Odoi said.

“This year is going to be great. One more to go, and then I’m on my way to a real life,” Fabiola Yannick said grinning at me devilishly as she highlighted in her notebook furiously.

Seniors

“It feels good being back at school, but somewhat scary being here,” Elizabeth Reyes said, rolling her eyes at me.

“Sure, I feel excited to be back because it’s my last year and I am ready to graduate,” Jocelyne Martinez said happily.

“I’m actually quite sad. I’ve spent so much time waiting for high school to go by, now I’m here, and really sad that it’s my last first day of high school,” Oliver Grace said, wiping a nonexistent tear from his face.

“I am very excited to come back for the 2017 and 2018 school year. This is my senior year and final year at Quartz Hill High. I am excited to see all my friends and excited about my new classes. Surprisingly, Calculus is much easier than I anticipated. This will be an amazing year,” Brian David Scott said.

“I think I’ll come back to visit Quartz Hill once I’m in college. Oh, and I feel super hyped over being back to school,” Morgan Brooke said softly.