What’s New for Clubs at QHHS

Picture by Amrita Sandhu

Key Club representative Daniel Cho participated in Club Rush

Last Friday, September 1, Quartz Hill High School successfully executed its annual Club Rush. Club members set-up their tables and tents in front of the big gym to display the aim and purpose of their organizations for the upcoming year. This event served as a great opportunity for all students to get involved on campus and further learn about clubs offered at Quartz Hill High School.

In order for students to participate in Club Rush, members underwent a clearance process. The president of the club chose a maximum of four students to represent their club in the best possible manner. Following this selection, these four participants were cleared by the advisor of the club. In preparation for Club Rush, members were excused from the middle of third period through the beginning of fifth period.

The 2017 Club Rush welcomed several newly-established clubs such as Fair Trade, Nonprofits, CRY, Black Student Union, and Blum.

Mrs. Bertell, advisor of Fair Trade Club, discussed what the club entails: “In this club, we look at land-use and the idea of core countries paying the correct amount of money to the farmers of periphery countries for their crops.” This club was established by previous Human Geography students who took an interest in the concept of Fair Trade. The goal of this club is to spread awareness among students and promote healthy working conditions for farmers located in developing countries.

CRY Club, another organization brought onto campus this school year, sparked interest in numerous students. This club is the student chapter of CRY America, a child rights organization. The purpose is to ensure that basic rights of education, health care, and protection from exploitation and abuse are restored to underprivileged children.

Triveni Patel, founder of CRY Club, shared her aspirations for the 2017-18 school year: “My main goal for this year is to have greater student involvement in this organization. Karina Patel and I created this club in order to help spread awareness of CRY’s purpose, and we hope that we are able to accomplish our goal. In order to do this, we have to establish our presence on campus by being involved in events such as Club Rush and Homecoming Carnival.”

Each club that participated in the event received a successful turn-out of students. The presidents of these clubs are looking forward to seeing more students involved both on and off campus this year.

Sona Keshishyan, a junior who took part in Club Rush, reflected on her experience: “Every school year, I look forward to the well-anticipated Club Rush. I find this to be a great way for me to connect with students and give back to the community. I am excited to be a part of such amazing clubs such as Art Club and Key Club.”

Club Rush provided a platform for both new and returning students to find their niche on campus, expand their club membership, and come up with new ideas on how to connect with their fellow Rebels, as well as the surrounding community.