New Clubs on Campus: Self Expression Club

image: left to right- Samantha Blanchard, Makenna Morlee, Amalyn Romero, Mandy Roberts

As many know, Quartz Hill High School is home to many clubs that cater to all types of students.  This year, two students, Amalyn Romero and Makenna Morlee, created a club called the Self Expression Club. This club lives up to its name by acknowledging all forms of art such as music, film, writing, fashion, drawing, and photography.  Being a gifted artist is not required when joining the club. Members only have to have a drive to create and an appreciation for those who do.

The club meets every Tuesday after school in room 403. Self Expression has a full cabinet consisting of Amalyn Romero, the president; Makenna Morlee, the vice president; Mandy Roberts, the senator; Samantha Blanchard, the treasurer; and Timothy Kelley, the secretary.  Currently, they are working on a playlist by having each member submit three of their favorite songs to include in the mix.

President Amalyn Romero described the club: “Self Expression has six branches, photography, cinematography, fashion, music, poetry/spoken word, and drawing/painting.  So, what we do is we try to get our members to create a project once every month so we can improve by the end of the year.  We also focus on helping students build friendships with others who have common interests.”

Later into the school year, Self Expression has planned for group yoga sessions and hangouts to strengthen the friendships between club members.  While discussing other future plans for the club, Vice President Makenna Morlee said, “Amalyn and I have been making plans for Self Expression non-stop for weeks and we’re so excited with the process we’re making for the artists. Our plans are, of course, to help people grow creatively by starting a new project at the beginning of every month, after everyone chooses which form of art they’d like to work with. Then, we give them an open-ended question. This month’s is: ‘How do you feel about the world right now?’ And it’s the artist’s job to create something expressing the way they feel about whatever the topic may be, hence the title ‘Self Expression.’”

When asked what Self Expression brings to the Quartz Hill campus, Senator Mandy Roberts explained, “I think the club provides a good outlet for students who want to express themselves but are afraid to.  It also helps people make more accepting friends and learn how to be more creative. Just from the few weeks that the club has been in action, I’ve already made really close friendships that truly mean a lot. I think that’s what it’s all about really.”

Having students unite and create bonds through the mutual love of art is the main goal of Self Expression. Hopefully this will prove itself to be a success in the 2017-2018 school year, along with the many years to come.