The Rebels Celebrate Homecoming Week

Picture by Kaleia Ashley

Beginning on October 2nd, Quartz Hill High School kicked off its annual Homecoming week. During this week, students show off their school spirit by participating in various activities: the spirit days, the carnival, the football game, and the dance. ASB worked endless hours to make this a successful week and spread Rebel pride among our students.

Mr. Manthey, the advisor of ASB, shared his goals for the week: “I hope that we can put on all the events relatively stress-free and that the students of Quartz Hill enjoy what we prepared and planned for them.” ASB began to prepare for Homecoming before the start of the 2017-18 school year. Certain short-term committees focused on ensuring the smooth execution of the logistics of Homecoming week.

The spirit committees in fourth period ASB were in charge of deciding on what the spirit days will be. Over a span of a couple days, the committee brainstormed ideas and the ASB class then voted for the top five spirit days. The committee decided on the following: Beach Bum, Skater vs. Surfer, Class Colors, Stay Afloat, and Blue and Gold.

The Homecoming assembly, carnival, and football game all fell on Friday, October 6th. For the assembly, fall Varsity sports teams, dance teams, and the Homecoming court participated in several activities and games. Following the assembly, clubs set up booths on the practice field and sold food or other items to raise funds for their organization. In order for clubs to sell food, the ingredients had to comply with the district nutritional guidelines and the Board of Control must have approved these items. Lastly, for Friday, the Homecoming game was at 6 P.M. on the football field.

Before the game, Kiran Jain, a player on the Varsity Football team, expressed his excitement for the upcoming game: “The Football team has been looking forward to this game. Hopefully, we can make our Rebs proud and bring a win home.” The Rebels competed with our original rival, Antelope Valley High School, and won.

To finish off the week, Homecoming festivities concluded with the highly-anticipated dance. With the theme Beach Bummin,’ the dance was held on October 7th from 7 to 11 P.M. (Expect a few Multimedia videos on the dance in the next few weeks.)

Lauren Asher, an ASB representative, reflected on her Homecoming experience: “It has truly been so much fun. There is a lot to prepare, but ASB is one big family and we make the best out of our time. At times, it can be stressful, but overall it is so much fun. I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything.” The sole purpose of these Homecoming events is to create team spirit throughout the campus and foster Rebel pride among students and alumni.