Students Perform Phenomenally at the Multicultural Assembly

By Amrita Sandhu, Staff Writer

On March 9th, Quartz Hill High School hosted their 19th annual Multicultural Club Assembly. This event took place in the Big Gym and followed the 3ABC assembly schedule. This year’s assembly consisted of a wide variety of dances from different cultures, including Hip-Hop, Bhangra, Hula, a Russian Quartet, a Cuban Mambo, Belly Dance, West African, Tinikling, Ballroom, Bollywood, and an Armenian traditional dance.

The Multicultural Club began preparing for the assembly in October by passing around sign-up sheets for possible volunteers and performers. Further in the year, the club held tryouts on November 9th for those interested in performing for a specific dance. During the month of February, two work days were held, which were dedicated to making decorations.

While the club began its preparations, dance captains also began preparing by recruiting members, compiling a song list, and planning practice dates.

Eileen McGregor, newly-elected Multicultural Club President, explained her journey as Tinikling Co-Captain: “We began preparing in October; however, we started on our last dance ‘Be Humble’ a month before. Some of the struggles in Tinkling were figuring out the choreography and getting everyone to show up at the same time for practice. As it is, Tinikling is such a large team, and everyone has their own schedules, so it’s very difficult to collaborate. The biggest goal for me was to have a good performance and a great team, and it looks like it worked out!”

Another performance, the West African dance, was a newly introduced dance on campus that sparked interest among many students.

Christabel Odoi shared her experience as captain of the West African Dance Team: “For this year, there were eleven members on the team including me as the captain. With quite a few people, it was difficult to plan practice days that fit the schedules of all the members. Also, I found it difficult to learn the routine myself in order to teach the rest of the team. Despite all of this, my main goal was to give 100% on the assembly day and have as much fun with it as possible, which is what we did. Although, for next year, I plan to recruit more guys on the team in order to show all aspects of African Dance.”

Lastly, the finale for this year’s assembly was the Bollywood team. This team is known for their vibrant outfit colors, lively music, and beautiful dance moves.

Karina Patel, the Bollywood Co-Captain, stated her aspirations for this and the following year’s assembly: “My goal was to have a large team and have everyone be in sync with one another. In general, I just wanted our team to look good, and I think we accomplished that. My plan for next year is to learn from my mistakes and start figuring out clothing, dance songs, and money situations ahead of time.”

Overall, this assembly was executed successfully due to the hard-working officers, members, and captains of the Multicultural Club.