Am I Ready for College?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Am I Ready for College?

Picture by Ji Min Margarett Lee

Picture by Ji Min Margarett Lee

Picture by Ji Min Margarett Lee

By Ji Min Margarett Lee, Staff Writer

For those who do not know me, hi, my name is Ji Min Margarett Lee and I have been admitted to the University of Pennsylvania for the upcoming fall semester. I am so grateful for this opportunity and beyond excited to attend the school of my dreams; however, as the days go by and graduation slowly nears, I have been asking myself, “am I ready for college?”

At a quick glance, I answer right away, yes. I am so ready for college. After countless nights of going to bed at 4 AM, consuming way too many cans of Monster, completing endless piles of homework and projects, and pushing my mental and physical health to the edge, it is safe to say that I am ready to take on any challenges that come my way. I am ready to take on the higher education and choose courses that I am interested in and to explore a completely new location after living in California for over ten years.

Yet, there is a little voice in my head that tells me that I might not be completely ready. I, a nineteen-year-old senior, made a realization last week that I do not know how to cook, how to do laundry, how to go grocery shopping (except to buy Monster), how to handle money, and basically how to do adult things. But, I can still learn how to complete these types of adult tasks, so I shouldn’t feel too stressed, right? It turns out, it was not the realization of my lack of skills to complete basic human chores that I was scared about; it was the fact that I would not be returning to California once I leave after graduation that made my heart feel heavy.

I guess saying goodbye is not as easy as I thought it would be. Although I am beyond excited to leave this town and never come back, I guess there are just some things I will miss. For example, I will miss stargazing at 12 AM with my friends at the mountaintop or just driving around late at night with no traffic. I will miss the crazy stories I would tell people when I would encounter them (for example someone getting arrested in my neighborhood). I will miss seeing all my friends that I made in Key Club, spanning from Sacramento all the way down to San Diego. I guess I have some bittersweet feelings about leaving California overall.

But I am excited to leave and make new memories. I am looking forward to exploring and conquering the new city that I will be in and making tons of new friends. I am ecstatic to hear about all my old friends’ adventures in their new colleges and see where we end up in a few years.

I think that I am ready for college — I mean, I really hope I am at least. I guess we will see in the fall.

• Am I Ready for College?

A&E

Must Watch Netflix Shows

• Am I Ready for College?

A&E

Top 5 Super Bowl Commercials of 2019

• Am I Ready for College?

A&E

Valentine’s Day Horoscope Compatibility

• Am I Ready for College?

A&E

Valentine’s Day Date Ideas

• Am I Ready for College?

A&E

Signature Athlete/Celebrity Released Shoes

• Am I Ready for College?

A&E

Fyre: The Greatest Party That Never Happened Review

• Am I Ready for College?

A&E

New MOAH Exhibit: Peace On Earth

• A&E

The 2019 Golden Globes

• Am I Ready for College?

A&E

Offbeat Museums to Visit in LA

• Am I Ready for College?

A&E

5 Things Not to Do Over Winter Break

Am I Ready for College?