The Nike Boycott

Picture by Brandon Kim

By Brandon Kim, Staff Writer

Americans are outraged and are protesting against American sports apparel company, Nike, when an ad campaign featuring an NFL free agent who kneeled during the National Anthem, Colin Kaepernick, was released on Twitter and other social media platforms. People are boycotting Nike, ceasing further support and burning their merchandise as an attempt to drop their stock.

American citizens are very upset at Nike for supporting Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick played for the San Francisco 49ers and kneeled during the National Anthem in an act of protest against the injustices black Americans suffer in relation to police officers. However, kneeling during the National Anthem is a sign of disrespect to American veterans who have served their time in the military. Kaepernick also inspired other football teams to protest, outraging many citizens.

As a result, people began to boycott Nike for supporting Kaepernick in their most recent ad campaign. The ad inspired people to post videos and photos of themselves destroying Nike merchandise to grab the company’s attention and to prove their loyalty to their flag and country. United States President, Trump, also took notice of this boycott and claimed that he would support the boycott until NFL players stopped disrespecting the flag. President Trump and many other Americans were very upset at Nike and Colin Kaepernick for disrespecting war veterans who had sacrificed their lives to protect our country.

However, other American citizens think that the boycott is ridiculous. Many people are encouraging the boycotters to donate their merchandise to charities instead of burning it while military veterans also began to tell people to stop using them as an excuse to burn Nike merchandise. People are also claiming that it is ridiculous to burn something that you paid for, and that it would not affect Nike in any way. In fact, Nike’s stock only fell by 3% and online sales grew by 27% within 4 days after the new ad campaign was released.

• The Nike Boycott

A&E

Pray For The Wicked – Album Review

• The Nike Boycott

A&E

Grey’s Anatomy New Season

• The Nike Boycott

A&E

New Documentary Features One of QHHS’s Own Alumni

• The Nike Boycott

A&E

Best Scary Movies

• The Nike Boycott

A&E

That’s Not My Name!

• The Nike Boycott

A&E

New Apple Gear

• The Nike Boycott

A&E

The Legacy of Mac Miller

• The Nike Boycott

A&E

American Horror Story: Apocalypse

• The Nike Boycott

A&E

Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

• The Nike Boycott

A&E

Back to School Fashion

The Nike Boycott