Upcoming Boys Soccer Season

Winter sports are coming soon, and after a successful season last winter, boy’s soccer is finally back. Last year, the boys won the CIF-SS Division III Championship in a 3-2 win against Los Alamitos. And then later, their season ended in the semifinal of the Division III CIF SoCal Championship in a 0-2 loss against Point Loma. The boys are now a Division I team this year, but they have also had things change for them. The boys have lost twelve seniors and have also had coaching changes, with Coach Jenison no longer the coach. But the boys this year are still excited and ready for the season to start.

Varsity goalkeeper Anthony Fernandez says he’s most excited to compete, saying, “I am most excited about my senior season; I get to have fun with my friends and my friends outside of school to compete for the Golden League title.” Another returning varsity player, Oswaldo Gonzalez, said, “I am most excited about playing with my friends and the pasta nights we have.” The boys are excited but are also ready for the expectations this year. Fernandez said, “My expectations for this year are to get around the top three in the leaderboard and to get to the quarterfinals in CIF.” Gonzalez said he knows he has to perform on the field, saying, “I would say my expectation this year is to see the field a lot as I am a varsity player.”

The boys have their first game on November 27th against Golden Valley, and their first league game is against Littlerock on November 29th at Little Rock High School. Fernandez thinks that the game against Little Rock would be a good game, saying, “Our biggest competitors this year has to be Littlerock; they’re a good team, and they were our competitors last year, too. This year will be fun against them.”

Quartz Hill’s new soccer coach is Coach Gordon,  a returning coach from the 21-22 school year, and he led the boys to the 2022 CIF-SS Division IV Championship but unfortunately lost 0-1 in overtime against Artesia High. And later took Quartz Hill to the CIF SoCal Soccer Championships but lost to Steele Canyon in a 2-1 game. Fernandez feels confident with Coach Gordon back, saying, “I feel confident with Gordon as my coach; he has good tactics, and he knows how to read the game. Overall, he is a good coach and is one of the top coaches I’ve had. I wanna thank him for the criticism he has shown me and the new way he taught me how to play. I am happy that he is our coach for this year.”