Pope Francis’s Lung Inflammation

Picture by Judy Lee

Pope Francis is under serious health watch. The pope canceled a trip in November due to the flu. He was admitted to the Rome hospital, where he received a CT scan that revealed he had lung inflammation. Just earlier this year, in April, the pope was hospitalized with pneumonia. Later, in June, he spent another nine days hospitalized as he was being treated for a hernia.  

After just a few days, his lung inflammation and breathing difficulties continue and show no signs of improvement. Healthcare professionals say that the pope is doing alright and is continuing to take his antibiotic treatment. 

He decided that for the following few days, it would be best to rest and take a break from his regular duties in order to regain his strength. He will continue to perform his “easier” tasks as his health allows him to. 

The pope even skipped his weekly Sunday appearance but still gave his blessing televised live from the Vatican Hotel. At his weekly meeting with citizens in Vatican City on November 29, 2023, people claimed that the pope sounded “wheezy” and talked only a limited amount. He had assistance for his speech from an aide at his side. Viewers say that when the pope raised one of his arms, it was visible to see where his IV tubes were attached to assist him. He later canceled his trip to Dubai, which he initially intended on attending to speak about the climate change crisis. 

Pope Francis’s illness, however, has not stopped him from speaking out and advocating for peace in the Gaza Strip. He also touched on hopes for peace in Ukraine as they are also experiencing hardship at this time. 

An update has been given on the pope in the past few days, and healthcare professionals are saying that the pope is in “good and stable” condition. Word has spread that respiratory issues are slowly improving. His spokesperson, Matteo Bruni, told reporters that Pope Francis has follow-up appointments scheduled to ensure that his health is fully recovered. 

The pope will continue his battle with his health as he gradually improves every day. However, this does not stop him from fulfilling his duties around the world to the best of his ability.