Is Bronny James truly an NBA-caliber player?

The upcoming USC guard, Bronny James, has large shoes to fit in due to his father, Lebron James, being one of the greatest basketball players ever. Viewers of the NBA have never seen a father and a son both play in the league simultaneously, and that’s why people are anticipating this family to showcase their talent together. Although this seems like an accomplishment in the making, many others question whether Bronny James is talented enough to even make it to the NBA for a number of reasons. 

Bronny James has always had the attention on him since he touched a basketball, receiving scholarship offers from universities like Duke and Kentucky at the age of 10. Showing early signs of his excellent defense, high basketball knowledge, and terrific shooting skills, James would first appear on the ESPN high school top 100 rankings list as a 4-star recruit and a top 30 player in the class of 2023, during his sophomore year when started playing at the varsity level. He remained a 4-star recruit throughout high school but dropped to 52nd on the ranks. Even though this is still an impressive accomplishment, he garnered more interest from the top college programs for a mid-level recruit than some of his peers.

Going into college, he would suffer a cardiac arrest during a USC practice. Due to this unfortunate event, he has missed a portion of his season, and his amount of playing is limited for his safety. He struggles to find his fitting on the court as he averages 5 points per game on 20 minutes of playing time while having a 35% field goal. Even though college statistics don’t often translate to NBA performance, he is still considered an underperforming player, given USC is 4-11 in their overall record. Over the past few years, he has gone from an expected late first-round pick to an early second-round pick, and now, he is possibly going undrafted for the 2024-25 NBA season. There is still a good chance that he will get drafted at least for the 2025-26 season by a team, as Lebron James has stated multiple times that he will go to whatever team picks Bronny James for their future, as he desires to play with his son before he retires.