Caitlin Clark is Making History For Women’s Basketball

Over the past few months, Caitlin Clark has become one of the biggest names in women’s basketball, causing new levels of attraction for the sport. Taking charge from a young age, she has already proved herself to have a lot of potential in the future. 

Clark started her athletic career early, playing multiple sports such as soccer, basketball, golf, and basketball. Early into her high school career, she decided to make the change and focus on basketball scoring 60 points in a singular game and leading the entire state of Iowa in scoring averaging 32.6 points per game as a junior in high school. She continued to dominate her senior year averaging similar stats, eventually committing to the University of Iowa. 

Her dominance of the game did not slow down when she came to college, as her debut game had 27 points 8 rebounds, and 4 assists leading her team to the win. Continuing to make a historic record she would lead the University of Iowa to their first NCAA championship in program history, and even though they lost to Angel Reese in LSU she still scored 30 points and 8 assists which is the most any player has accomplished in the title game as a junior in college. Her senior year was nothing less than stellar as she averaged 28 points per game passing Patricia Hoskins for the highest career scoring average in NCAA women’s basketball history. Similar to Clark’s junior year, she had lost to the South Carolina Gamecocks women’s basketball team but that will only be the beginning of her journey. 

What Caitlin Clark did on the court wasn’t the only thing that she was doing that was record shattering also. While she was playing for Iowa she has 11 known NIL deals with a combined 3.1 million dollars of endorsement money, as her endorsement deals with Gatorade and State Farm resulted in a majority of it. On top of that, her WNBA contract was released and she will be estimated to make 76,000 dollars during her rookie season. While professional players such as Stephen Curry have given her props on her shooting ability to score from so far, others find Clark to be an overrated player. Cheryl Blossom states that the reason she is able to be so much better than her competition is because she is five years older, which isn’t true as she has been dominating as soon as she came into the NCAA.