“The Tortured Poets Department” by Taylor Swift

Picture by Judy Lee

On April 19, 2024, Taylor Swift released her newest album entitled “The Tortured Poets Department”. This is Swift’s eleventh studio album containing 31 songs that portray a wide range of emotions about her past relationships and her life in general. After only a week of this album being released, people have begun to state their opinions all over social media; and for the most part, they seem to be positive. 

Fans have already begun to hypothesize who each song might be about. Her current and past love interests are the clear answer to this question. There have been assumptions that a handful of the songs on the album are dedicated to or written about her ex-boyfriends Matty Healy and Joe Alwyn, where she criticizes how they treated her. She has also included songs about her new love interest Travis Kelce. In addition to songs about her love life, Swift also wrote songs that described other personal relationships that she has in her life and may have thrown a little shade. 

One song specifically titled “Clara Bow” is assumed to be written about Swift’s own complicated relationship and journey with fame. She talks about a character being compared to Clara Bow, Stevie Nicks, and then Taylor Swift, where fans assume that Taylor Swift is the next “abused” celebrity in the spotlight. Others also believe that this song was written for other up-and-coming young artists in general who may also have a complicated relationship with stardom. 

Another song she wrote that has gained lots of attention is titled “thanK you aIMee”. Fans believe that Swift wrote this song about Kim Kardashian as the capitalized letters in the title spell out the word ‘Kim’. Swift holds a grudge against Kardashian due to past drama involving Kim Kardashian and her ex-husband Kanye West. Some fans applaud Swift for “standing up for herself” while other listeners are telling her to just “let it go”. This song alone has now sparked a new TikTok trend where fans write out a sentence with capitalized letters spelling out the name of a person who has wronged them, while simultaneously lip-syncing to Swift’s song. 

There has not been much criticism that has been thrown at Swift after the release of the album, and fans really seem to be enjoying her new music. This album is filled with much emotion and self-reflection on Swift’s part, regarding her life and past and current relationships.