The Need for Career Classes

Picture by Inderpreet Laly

As young students, we have only a vague idea what waits for us in the real world: jobs, careers, marriage, college, and so much more. For now, we have tests and homework to worry about; once we step into the real world, we are left with no idea on how to achieve our dreams.

How are students to know how to apply for jobs or what college courses to take? Some might get lucky and somehow choose the right decision. Others might have a relative that can help them out. However, many are left to face life’s difficulties without any help.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the American unemployment rate is at 4.9%. The United States, one of the most influential countries in the world, should not have unemployment this high.

A school should leave every graduate ready for the future. This is why career counselling is so essential. However, in order to achieve the full benefit of counseling, schools need to implement actual classes.

These classes could have a variety of agendas, from job picking to tax paying. Examples could include which jobs are most suitable for different kinds of people, which city can help you the most when looking for your ideal job, what to do in case you get fired, and how to create presentable job applications. These are practical tasks which every graduating students should know.

However, many schools do not really have “classes” for career counseling. There are counselors present in high school, but they are not nearly as effective. Besides, most students do not bother giving up their lunch to visit the counselor.

Specialized career counselors are also more expensive to hire, thus limiting the ability of schools to afford high-quality staff. The school might argue that they do not have the budget or that there are not enough staff members. However, it is the government’s job to make sure that each school has enough in the budget for essential items such as this.