What it takes to be Homecoming Queen

Picture by Cody Wilson

Homecoming is just around the corner and the standards for making Court are getting higher and higher. As seniors are nearing the end of their high school career, many decide to run for court to make the most out of their last year here. As of now, to become a worthy candidate for the senior Homecoming Court, it takes a lot more than just popularity. To really win, a person needs to show interest in extracurriculars and have a likeable personality.

When it comes to running as a candidate, it is important to partake in extracurricular activities. In a sense, homecoming is like selling oneself to gain votes, so the more well-versed a person is when it comes to activities, the more appealing that person will be to voters.

Students like Audrey Gibbs and Sarah Zhang are prime examples of candidates that really pursue their own passions while achieving academically. Sarah Zhang frequently spends her free time “golfing, singing, exploring, and playing the flute.” Audrey Gibbs, on the other hand, states that dance has “always been a great hobby and stress reliever,” but she also enjoys more tranquil activities like reading and baking.

Another important aspect of candidacy would be personality. It is not enough to be active outside of school; it takes a likeable personality to really win votes. Zhang commented that she feels that Gibbs will win, if not her, because she is “well rounded, kind, and loved by many people.” Although it is modest to say, it just goes to show how big of a part personality plays in gaining votes.

The competition for Homecoming Court is tough, especially as the seniors have 18 candidates for queen. Despite this competition, the elections for Homecoming king and queen are not something to take drastically.  It is very unlikely that the candidates have been preparing for this moment since the beginning of their high school career. So, with that in mind, the whole spirit of Homecoming truly does lie in making the most out of the high school experience and having fun.