The Effect of Homecoming

Picture by ASB

Homecoming is probably the one time of the school year that students of all classes are excited for, and there is good reason for that. Whether it is the football game, the carnival, the Homecoming court, or the dance, there is always something to look forward to. This year, Quartz Hill’s student body decided on the theme of Rio for Homecoming, and the results were stunning.

To start off Homecoming, ASB set up a Rio Olympics theme for the assembly. The students seemed excited and remained spirited throughout the entirety of it. ASB member Samantha Cheng feels that this is attributed to the performances and games that were organized. She states that the activities they had this year were very engaging, keeping the crowd interested.

Particularly, she felt that the Dance Team did a particularly spectacular job “coordinating their routine to fit the theme of the assembly.” The Dance Team’s routine was unique and entertaining, as they incorporated elements from different sports to tie into the Olympic theme. Overall, the assembly was impressive, as everyone was hyped and entertained by what it had to offer.

After an exciting assembly, students were then treated to the Homecoming carnival. To fit the theme, many of the clubs that were in the carnival represented a different country. At the carnival, there were many commodities like pizza, smoothies, and mangonadas for sale. Although the carnival was mainly for clubs to fundraise, all students that attended seemed to enjoy it, as they snacked on food and attempted the several mini games that were set up.

One of the most memorable events of this Homecoming was the football game. The Quartz Hill Varsity football team crushed Littlerock as expected; however, much of what made the night memorable was the halftime showcase. This included a heartfelt memorial service for Alexis Romero, an impressive performance from the marching band, and the firework showcase, which was a wonderful surprise for the crowd. Despite the creepy appearance of a flying clown mask, the Homecoming football game was definitely a night to remember.

Last, but not least, was the Homecoming dance. The dance was filled with laughter, dancing, and, most importantly, birds. If the free churros and cotton candy were not enough, ASB decided to surprise students once again by allowing them to take pictures with exotic birds in the photo booth. The dance was a night to remember, and the majority of students seemed to really enjoy themselves.

This year’s Homecoming was extremely eventful. Quartz Hill’s student body outdid themselves once again, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves at every single event. The first week of October was a memorable week for the Quartz Hill Rebels.