The Future of ASB

Picture by Andrew Park

It is February in Quartz Hill High School and ASB applications are due. ASB member Eileen McGregor states that the admissions process is “interesting and thought provoking.” Contrary to the welcoming nature of ASB students, the admissions process is actually rigorous. Students have to be interviewed by the four ASB officers, the Class Presidents, and Mr. Manthey and they are then reviewed. In a nutshell, being an ASB member is tough.

According to current ASB Junior Vice President Angela Zhang, “ASB is planning on branching out in the diversity of their members.” She stated this is not a matter of race, but the extracurricular activities that members partake in. The main goal behind this is to increase school spirit among a broader spectrum of Quartz Hill’s students while raising interest in other potential ASB members.

ASB is a “close family.” However, the members put themselves out there when it comes to reaching out to other students. Members are expected to be outgoing and welcoming when they are a part of ASB. Whether it is in the lunch rallies, assemblies, or school dances, members should maintain a warm and happy composure. This is not to say that the members are forced to smile, but it is necessary to be welcoming.

Other than keeping a positive attitude, ASB students also put in a lot of work to set up events like school dances and assemblies. They devote countless hours to creating signs and hanging up decorations, making everything perfect. Despite the work they have to put in, many ASB members enjoy setting up events. ASB member Samantha Cheng mentioned that setting up is her “favorite part of being in ASB.” She states that “setting up gives [her] time with [her] pod and to socialize.”

The end goal of ASB is to create leaders. The admission process may be intimidating, but all it really looks for is “dedication.” Not all members have to show leadership qualities, but they do have to exemplify qualities of a hard worker since anyone can be shaped to be a leader. Although being in ASB can be demanding, the work the members put in and the student interactions really do shape them to become leaders. Angela Zhang sums up the program perfectly when she said, “ASB is what you put into it. You will enjoy your time as an ASB member if you commit yourself.”