Valentine’s Grams

Valentines+Grams

Picture by Aditya Shivaram

At Quartz Hill High School, Valentine grams are an annual tradition that students look forward to. During the much-anticipated week, these grams could be bought and sent to any student or teacher in the school for the low price of $3 per gram. These grams came with a treat or a heartfelt message along with a song. The choir students participated as Cupid’s singing angels, and they took this opportunity to serenade students during class hours. During Valentine’s Day, a student never knew when a choir member would enter their class and start singing songs like Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You.” However, the teachers were not always pleased by the disturbance, and some locked their doors to prevent any further interruptions.

During lunch and recess, students eagerly gathered around the quad and talked about the grams they each received. Some were extremely happy because they received a gram from their crush or friend, while others were a little sad because they had not received any grams that day. Many people had surprised looks when they received grams, especially when it was anonymous. Some said that it makes it fun to try and figure out who may have sent it. Others are annoyed or frustrated.

Sophomore Noah Hinckley received a gram during sixth period on Thursday, February 9, and he was rather pleased to know someone cared for him. After being asked how he felt about receiving a gram in front of the whole class, he stated, “I was a little embarrassed, but [I was] happy to know that one of my friends cares enough to send me a valentine gram. I was also very impressed by the choir students’ ability to harmonize and make the song very melodious.”

Students were not the only ones that received and sent Valentine grams; the teachers also got in on the fun. Spanish 2 teacher Senor Ostler is very well-liked amongst students and teachers, and during one of his classes, he received two grams from other faculty members. This event also allowed the students to express their appreciation for their favorite teachers by sending them grams with heartfelt messages and sweet candy treats.

The entire week before Valentine’s Day was filled with joy, laughter, and in some cases, heartbreak, while students eagerly await this event each and every year.