Our Friendly Neighborhood Walmart

Picture by money.cnn.com

As Quartz Hill students, how would you feel about a new Walmart across from Quartz Hill? Do you like that idea? Or is the market just going to become be an easier way for trouble to arise? Well, whatever your reasons may be, the idea has been keeping a group of Lancaster residents on their toes.

For more than eleven years, Quartz Hill residents have argued over the new Walmart Supermarket that is planned to be built on the intersection of 60th and L, right across from Quartz Hill High School. This crisis was first brought to public knowledge in 2006 when the Lancaster City Council proposed plans for a new Walmart to be built across the street from Quartz Hill. Three years later, in 2009, the Lancaster Planning Commission approved the plans.

Since then, there has been much controversy over whether or not the new store should be built. There have been multiple legal cases and trials in which Quartz Hill inhabitants explored the dangers that this new market would have for other residents. There has even been a group formed named Quartz Hill Cares who protest to show their deep loathing of the idea. These residents have provided a variety of reasons why the Walmart should not be build, and they are right.

First of all, the new market would cause even more traffic than there already is. Imagine the amount of  congestion there would be if this new supermarket was built in a residential area. This seems to be the number one fear of many other residents. According to a Time Warner Cable News article, “Battle Over Quartz Hill Walmart Continues,”  a resident named David stated, “It’s going to cost too much money from the taxpayers to widen Avenue L to incorporate that much more traffic on top of our high school.” Others also fear the economic changes that the new Walmart will bring.

Additionally, many residents feel that the new Walmart will pose a danger to Quartz Hill students. Quartz Hill High School is one of the largest high schools in the valley.  Many do not feel comfortable sending their children to school knowing that they are in walking distance of a store that sells both liquor and cigarettes. Even though AMPM also provides accessible drugs and liquor for students, the new Walmart will be right across the school, making it an even easier and more accessible store to allow mischief.

Other Quartz Hill residents said they oppose the project because it would negatively impact their quality of life. It could bankrupt small local businesses around the indicated location, also causing crime to increase in the area.

The Antelope Valley has more than enough land to build new stores to support the increasing population and create more jobs. There is no need to build a Walmart right next to an educational facility that could result in the disturbance of education. To help your community make the right decision, go online and find out more about ways you can make your opinion count.