Cook-Off Preview – The Culinary Competition

Picture by Audrey Limb

Are you an aspiring baker or chef looking to showcase your talent? On March 15th, Quartz Hill High School is hosting its first annual Cook-Off as an opportunity for members of the student body and staff who would like to cook and share their skills with their peers. For the event, students will prepare dishes at home and bring them for other students, staff, and anyone else who wants to try some delicious food. To taste the food, visitors will be charged $1 with an ASB card and $3 without.

The chairwoman for this event is ASB representative Jane Earley and her committee consists of other representatives including Daniel Morin, Elena Smaltino, Imani Speed, Jack Fitzgerald, Modesty Goodman, Samantha Clark, and Taylor Heckenliable. Each person in this committee has a specific job in order to make things run smoothly. In preparation for the event, the committee is responsible for creating the applications for participants, talking to businesses about prizes, and making flyers. Together, they also have to secure the facility and create decorations to make the event more appealing.

One of the main focuses for ASB is getting the word out about the event. Jane Earley emphasizes this point saying, “We are publicizing really hard to get participants who do not really get involved in other events.” She and the rest of her committee also stated that everyone is welcome, and they encourage anyone who is interested to participate.

As mentioned before, students will prepare dishes at home after school on Wednesday, March 15th and bring them to the 300 quad between 4:00 and 4:30 for set up. Later, at 5:00, the doors will be open, allowing students and staff to enter and taste the food.

While ASB has not figured out exactly how the voting will be conducted yet, they have decided the judges will be the general public, and the contest will be based on two categories: entree and dessert. For the two categories, prizes will be awarded to the top three dishes. Elena Smaltino, a committee member, discussed the prizes for the event: “We were not planning to announce the prizes until the event happens, but we did contact local businesses such as Nadia’s Cupcakes and Olive Garden for prizes such as $25 gift cards.”

To get involved in the Cook-Off, both students and staff can go online to “QHHS.org” or pick up an application in room 102. There is an entry fee of $5 for the first dish and $3 for any additional entries. For this event, applications are due by March 10th and everyone is welcome to join. If you would like to participate in the first ever Cook-Off at Quartz Hill, or if you simply just enjoy eating food, swing by this event next month.