The Career Fair in Review

The Career Fair in Review

Quartz Hill High School held its annual Career Fair on February 23 in the big gym, which was a well-attended event. During the fair, students were able to gather valuable information regarding numerous jobs that were available to them during high school and after graduation.

Outside the gym were three booths that included a paramedic, the police force, and a local radio station. Numerous flyers and other information packets were available at these booths, and the materials provided detailed information regarding the skill sets and education required to pursue these careers. The paramedics brought an ambulance with them, giving the students a chance to go inside and inspect the medical gadgets that can be used as life-saving devices in an emergency. Students were also able to get information regarding enrollment in the police academy if they chose to do so after graduation.

Inside the gym, there were about twenty-five booths set up in straight rows along the walls and one row in the middle. The booths included Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman, which are both aeronautical engineering firms that employ a large number of engineers in the Antelope Valley.
There were also booths for beauty and makeup design and even some fast food chains. The Chick-Fil-A booth was handing out coupons for a free sandwich when students visited their booth and picked up a flyer. Booths hosted by Starbucks, Cinemark, and Subway provided job opportunities to high school students who were interested in working after school hours.

One of the booths at the fair represented Antelope Valley College, and many students picked up brochures pertaining to their academic interests. Classes offered by the campus ranged from electrical technician to computer design on the technical side, and from psychology to accounting in the service areas. There were also many internship opportunities for students interested in computer science and engineering.

The Career Fair was a huge success, and it provided many of the juniors and seniors an opportunity to apply for jobs. It lasted about 4 hours, and it was well received by the students that felt that it was an eye opening experience. This event helped many of the students get a better understanding of the careers that are available to them upon graduation, and with this newly acquired knowledge, they can now go on and work towards their goal of a brighter future.