Finals Week

Finals+Week

By Amrita Sandhu and Aleksanda Brajanovska

We have officially finished finals week, that time of the school year where students begin to worry about their final exams.

Oftentimes, students flood into classrooms and bombard their teachers with several questions regarding how they can achieve their desired final grade. As a result, not only do students feel stressed but the teachers do as well due to these complaints. Despite feeling sympathy towards their students, teachers are still required to hand out a final assignment on the final day whether it be a project, presentation, or exam.

Mrs. Nichter, a long-time IB Biology and Anatomy teacher at Quartz Hill, gave insight of what is expected of teachers on finals week: “Admin wants teachers to do something on finals day, not just an assignment that has been previously assigned, turned in, and considered a final. They want students to come and be present at school. Movies are not considered a ‘thing to do on finals day.’”

Most teachers find that final exams and projects are essential to the development of high school students. These assignments are used to assess the progress that students have made throughout the semester and evaluate just how much information they have retained. Additionally, there are some Advanced Placement teachers who believe that the final should precede AP exams to determine whether the students are prepared.

Mr. Herman, a highly-valued AP Calculus teacher, provided his opinion on when finals should be administered: “Personally, I believe that AP classes should take their final before the AP exam. That day should not go to waste and be used for relaxation purposes. Finals are essential to keep track of students’ understanding of the material.” Based off this examination, students can determine how much more preparation is needed to succeed on the AP exam.

While finals week provides teachers with the knowledge of where their students stand, it also serves another purpose: preparation for the future. Through finals week in high school, students are aware of what is to come in their future of education.  

Mrs. Bertell, a World History and AP Human Geography teacher, shared her thoughts on the benefits of finals week: “You will experience all of this in college: a midterm and a final. In fact, it will take you by surprise by coming all at once. It teaches you how to improve time management. Finals week teaches students how to enhance study habits by not cramming a semester’s worth of information in a short period of time. They should begin their studies months in advance in order to properly retain the information needed to excel on their exams.”

All in all, finals week trains students to efficiently plan how their valuable time will be organized to accommodate their studies. For that reason, several students agree with their teachers’ viewpoints on finals week.

Sona Keshishyan, an IB student, firmly believes that finals are more beneficial than detrimental: “Although finals week is extremely stressful, I see the positive side to it. College is approaching fast, and it is reassuring knowing that I am well-prepared for that four-year journey.”

Although there is a negative stigma surrounding the topic of finals week, it is important to recognize all of the rewards that it offers.