Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

Picture by Shruthi Kumar

Picture by Shruthi Kumar

Picture by Shruthi Kumar

By Shruthi Kumar, Staff Writer

Crazy Rich Asians has been the most anticipated film of the summer, and its arrival certainly did not disappoint fans. The movie earned a huge profit, and entering into the weekend it has gained $60 million dollars.
Although book to movie adaptations are never really commended, the movie seems to be a close following of the novel by Kevin Kwan. Fans were delighted to see that most of the original storyline was followed, and most of the original characters’ personalities were also kept. Personally, I had made it my goal to read the book first when I heard about the movie release, and I was not disappointed by either. The movie matches the comedic pace of the book, highlighting the parts of romance and drama.
The Crazy Rich Asians cast definitely added touches of authenticity to the storyline. Constance Wu, played Rachel Chu, a woman who is shocked to realize that her fiancé is more wealthy than she thought. Wu did a remarkable job maintaining the character’s true personality and insights, and definitely was a favorite character of mine. It was nice to see that she could expand her roles past her character on the television series Fresh off the Boat. Charlie Wu, played by Henry Shum Jr., is her counterpart, and also the man Rachel is supposed to marry. Shum brought together the real ideals of a relationship, while maintaining a steady pace to the story.
Although this movie falls directly into the cliché of the mother-in-law against the daughter-in-law, Crazy Rich Asians, breaks past any stereotypical notion, bringing to light real struggles. Of course, the original battle between the overprotective mama and the young daughter was still enunciated, but different struggles were also shown as a part of the subplot.
What might be most remarkable about this movie is the representation. Crazy Rich Asians centers around a variety of East Asian ethnicities, gathering praise for its prominence of people of color. The movie has been compared to Black Panther, which features a cast composed primarily of people of African American descent. Crazy Rich Asians also follows down that path, highlighting the diversity of the cast.

Whether it’s for date night or a casual movie to catch, Crazy Rich Asians is definitely a movie that should not be missed. With its comedic stylings and hilarious characters, this love story is a great addition to any weekend.

Shruthi Kumar, Staff Writer

Hey, hey, hey! It's your friendly neighborhood Shruth! I'm currently an IB junior, which means that I look like a trash can and look like I haven't slept...

• A&E

Top 5 Christmas Movies

• Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

A&E

Student Profile: Tianchi Zhou

• Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

A&E

Docuseries Taking Over Youtube

• A&E

Lil Peep Album Review

• Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

A&E

Is the Newest and Most Expensive Electric Longboard on the Market Worth its Price?

• Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

A&E

The Antelope Valley’s Burgeoning Art Scene

• Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

A&E

Trying to Find Yourself While Writing College Apps

• Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

A&E

Mid90s Movie Review

• Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

A&E

Halloween Don’ts

• Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians

A&E

Spooky Baskets Guide

Movie Highlight: Crazy Rich Asians