The Legacy of Mac Miller

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Legacy of Mac Miller

Picture by Tyler Sinness

Picture by Tyler Sinness

Picture by Tyler Sinness

By Tyler Sinness, Staff Writer

“Mac Miller Wants You to Know He’s OK,” was written on August 3rd, 2018, by Rolling Stone magazine. Just one month later, “Mac Miller Dead at 26.” The death of famous rapper Mac Miller shook the foundation of the music industry. The musician, known to be a drug addict, had been seemingly free from drugs, healthy, and happy. Now, a wildly successful legacy of music lies in the wake of a devastating tragedy.

Miller had been previously known to harbor drug addiction, but he was much more than that. The rapper was known to be friendly, conversational, and warm, and those around Miller found him to be able to easily balance his ambitions with those he cared for.

Despite his reputation for being an extrovert, at one point Miller dropped off of the grid following a flood of coverage by the paparazzi after the artist was arrested for a DUI, in which his blood-alcohol level had been twice the legal limit. He and pop star Ariana Grande had only recently broken up as well. Miller was unheard of in the media for months, only returning after writing the album Swimming, his third major-label album and fifth overall.

Miller rose to fame in the streets of Pittsburgh as a teenager, becoming popular among suburban teens. He quickly became known for his witty lyrics, singing “Easy Mac with the cheesy raps,” and “Blue suede shoes stay crispy like bacon.” Blue Slide Park, Miller’s first album, hit Billboard charts as an independent production. His career took off, and before he was of legal drinking age, he was already touring with Lil Wayne and 2 Chainz, and producing music with artists such as Tyler, the Creator.

The music Miller created was never serious. Instead, it was fun and upbeat, yet not afraid to touch on emotion. The topics his music covered varied greatly, an example being his album The Divine Feminine, which is dedicated to love. The album garnered widespread attention due to its last song, “My Favorite Part,” a duet with Ariana Grande, the paparazzi discovering their relationship only shortly afterward.

Now, Miller continues to gain attention for the legacy he left upon his passing, a legacy of happiness, goodwill, and legendary music. A countless number of celebrities have expressed their condolences following Miller’s passing, including Ariana Grande, who, according to reports, was very active towards the end of the artist’s life. Every person that has spoken of the artist’s death has expressed their gratitude for Miller’s warm personality. One of these people was Macklemore, who wrote an Instagram post in tribute to Miller: “Such a genuine person. Brilliant sense of humor. A true artist. Your spirit is what impressed me the most. The energy you brought to any space you were in. Contagious. You reached out to me at times when others didn’t. You were human. And we shared the same disease. A disease that is out to kill us, and when left untreated eventually will.”

Miller will be remembered as an extremely influential artist who shaped the music industry with new, innovative creations. His mark on the rap community and beyond will forever be present. Though his passing marks the end to a career on the verge of a sensational breakout, Miller’s legacy lives on as a good friend and legendary artist.

Tyler Sinness, Staff Writer

Hi! I'm Tyler. I spend my free time reading, running, and writing. You can often find me interning for local politics or organizing events around town....

• A&E

Top 5 Christmas Movies

• The Legacy of Mac Miller

A&E

Student Profile: Tianchi Zhou

• The Legacy of Mac Miller

A&E

Docuseries Taking Over Youtube

• A&E

Lil Peep Album Review

• The Legacy of Mac Miller

A&E

Is the Newest and Most Expensive Electric Longboard on the Market Worth its Price?

• The Legacy of Mac Miller

A&E

The Antelope Valley’s Burgeoning Art Scene

• The Legacy of Mac Miller

A&E

Trying to Find Yourself While Writing College Apps

• The Legacy of Mac Miller

A&E

Mid90s Movie Review

• The Legacy of Mac Miller

A&E

Halloween Don’ts

• The Legacy of Mac Miller

A&E

Spooky Baskets Guide

The Legacy of Mac Miller