Homecoming Carnival

By Jahninna Althea Alegre, Staff Writer

Homecoming is a tradition usually done in high schools and colleges in the United States of America and Canada. Unlike Prom where the dance is generally restricted to only juniors and seniors, Homecoming is an annual event that every high schooler is aware of and can attend with ease. While there are dances and events during middle and elementary school, every American student’s first Homecoming takes place during high school, making the event a sort of “rite of passage.”

Quartz Hill High School differs from a traditional Homecoming celebration with its annual carnival. The carnival happens on the Friday of Homecoming week, the day before the night of the dance, and celebrates both returning students and new students with an extended lunch of arguably more interesting food and drink than a normal day in the school’s cafeterias.

During Homecoming Carnival, various clubs on campus sell foods, drinks, items, or have an activity for their respective booths or tables. The Carnival’s purpose is not only to celebrate Homecoming, but it also serves as a way for clubs to fundraise by selling (typically) foods or drinks. Additionally, it allows those who did not attend Club Rush to be aware of the clubs on campus and possibly join them.

Sukhkiran Kaur, a junior at Quartz Hill High School, stated: “I thought it was a cool experience.” She enjoyed the ingenuity of the different clubs’ stalls and tables, claiming the photo booth prepared by Perfect Pals club was, “really creative and well thought out.”

Instead of being held in front of the school’s big gym like Club Rush, Carnival takes place on the field where there is more space for students to be. Sukhkiran thought the carnival was, “well put together and organized, as the layout was easy to navigate.” She enjoyed the ambiance of the carnival, explaining her favorite part of it all was how “everyone was excited and having fun.”

Homecoming Carnival is a way for students who cannot, or desire not to, attend the Homecoming Dance to still celebrate their pride in being a Quartz Hill Rebel. In some ways, the Carnival is a reward, as students get a longer lunch and are able to enjoy foods and drinks not typically found on campus, such as pizza and Jamba Juice. All around, Homecoming Carnival is a nice break for students and teachers and a great way to take part in Rebel Pride.