Multi-Assembly

By Jahninna Alegre, Staff Writer

The Multicultural Assembly is an annual assembly hosted by the Multicultural Club to showcase various dances and traditions from around the world. With the large gym decorated from top to bottom, the event is one of the most anticipated by students and teachers alike. This year, the assembly will be held on March 15th.

The Multicultural Assembly consists of three clubs: Multicultural Club, Spanish Club, and Black Student Union, each getting their own allotted time. Each club will showcase several performances that capture the heart and spirit of their cultures, with dances from all parts of the globe finding their way on the center stage.

The Black Student Union will shed light onto their heritage with the African Dance. According to a junior at QHHS, Ivaane Odoi, the dance is more common in West Africa. Her sister, Cristabel Odoi, configures the dance and choreography by “taking snippets of other dances,” essentially taking inspiration from other dances and performances to produce her own work. Working hard to prepare for the assembly, Ivaane Odoi believes that the performers are on track to having their routine put together and refined by the day of the event.

From Mexico, Folklorico is one of the many dances being prepared by Spanish Club for the assembly. The choreography was done by Carina Cisneros and the performers have already finished learning the dance but are now working on perfecting it. Folklorico is a traditional dance from Mexico that differs from most modern-day Mexican dances. Senior at QHHS, Mariah Hernandez, thinks that while other performances, such as the partner dances, are purely for the fun and enjoyment of the dancers themselves, Folklorico is “all about putting a show on for your audience.” She continues by describing the uniqueness of the Folklorico costume, as the skirt is a key component of the dance itself. Mariah describes the dance as practically impossible with “anything other than a beautiful, vibrant, and giant skirt that you have to swing around as you dance.” She opines that the dress and the use of it during the dance moves increases the aesthetic and artistic quality of this dance compared to others.

Another dance to anticipate is the Arabic-style Belly Dance. Senior at QHHS and co-choreographer of this dance, Shanti Davis, explained how there are variations of the dance depending on its place of origin. Cultures in the Middle East, Asia, and among Native American or Indigenous tribes all have their own styles of belly dancing. Along with Chloe Hyman, the other choreographer for the dance, there are a total of five dancers. This year’s performance will surely be a treat for the audience, as the routine incorporates a male dancer. According to Davis, practices have been coming along well despite some difficulties with new members’ flexibility and fluidity.

With the date of the Multicultural Assembly looming around the corner, clubs and performers are working hard to master their dances in time for the performance day. Other dances such as Tinikling, Bollywood, and more have been preparing diligently to share their performances and culture with the school. The Multicultural Assembly is a well-anticipated and popular annual event among students and teachers that highlights the rich diversity of our school and pays respect to each other’s cultures and heritages. This assembly provides a space and opportunity to learn about other cultures in an intimate way that may not be possible otherwise.