Top 3 Dorm Room Essentials

Image by Brandon Kim

By Brandon Kim, Staff Writer

The end of a busy year of high school is approaching, and many students are looking forward to it. Students can relax during summer break and participate in activities such as going on vacations with their family and friends or even just staying home and sleeping. However, this last year of high school is a big deal to the graduating senior class. Many seniors will be heading off to college with mixed feelings after they graduate. Seniors typically feel a diverse array of emotions, ranging from anxiety to excitement, before finally heading off to college.

Students that go to college usually stay in dorm rooms that are on the school campus. Dorm rooms are kept in good condition, but there are several essentials that should be brought along to make life in a dorm room a whole lot easier.

1.  Alarm Clock

A good alarm clock would be highly recommended for a student going into college. Whether it’s waking up for a biology class at 8:00 A.M. or getting up a little earlier to cram before class, an alarm clock will definitely help prevent you from sleeping for too long.

1.  Bed Linens

Bringing along bed linens, like pillowcases and mattress covers, is a good idea if you don’t want to be sleeping on a filthy bed. The mattresses in dorm rooms usually are not washed over break or swapped out, as doing so can be too time-consuming or too expensive. As a result, dorm room mattresses can be very dirty, so bringing a mattress cover would be highly suggested. Pillows are not nearly as dirty as dorm room mattresses, but bringing along your own pillowcase is also recommended. Bringing along your own sheets would be unnecessary because they can be easily washed at any given time.

1. Laundry Supplies

If your parents did your laundry for you throughout your childhood, they won’t be able to anymore once you go into college. Learning how to do laundry is essential if you want your clothes to stay clean. Bringing along laundry supplies would help make laundry into an easier, neater, and faster task. These include laundry baskets, laundry bags, and laundry detergent.