CASL: The Canadian Anti-Spam Law

Picture by Isaac Ericson @ftr.visuals

By Eileen McGregor, Staff Writer

* To clarify, this article will not actually be about CASL: the Canadian Anti-Spam Law but it will be about CASL: the California Association of Student Leaders.

If you have seen social media posts from Quartz Hill’s Associated Student Body members, then you have probably heard of CASL at some point or another. CASL was developed by the California Association of Directors of Activities, or CADA, a group of student councils that held sessions to discuss “common problems and solutions” (For more information on the history of CADA and CASL, check out their manicured website http://www.casl1.org/). CASL organizes several major events for student government programs all across California. Attending any CASL event is a coveted opportunity for most ASB kids, as it means a weekend away filled with fun leadership activities. Some of our school’s very own ASB members have started filling the ranks of the CASL board, which is a notable accomplishment. Last year, Isaac Ericson – a well-known student around the school thanks to his widespread involvement in just about everything – was elected to the CASL board as a media director. As a media director, Ericson’s job was to create high-quality graphics, videography, and other media for the CASL board. The main purpose of the position is to publicize the events that go on in CASL such as the annual conference, elections, and other smaller area conferences.

According to Ericson, his greatest personal challenge while working with CASL was “staying determined in the face of all that needed to be done prior to our conference. As a media director and a conference presenter, I was responsible for learning our incredible curriculum to teach its delegates, teach my own personal workshop, and film/create the conference program and recap video! It was hard not to get bogged down by all these things, but I realized that CASL is all about the individual experience of the delegates. By focusing on them, the entire CASL board was able to complete their work and host a great conference!” Ericson’s amazing, thought-out designs and videos can be found on the CASL website. A testament to the true spirit of the CASL kid, Ericson spent every waking moment living, breathing and working on CASL. **

In general, CASL is a great way for the program’s participants to connect with other leaders and share their experiences and leadership tips. Colin Culver, previous Freshman Coordinator and newly elected CASL Outreach Director, encourages students to “participate in CASL if you are interested in leadership. We are trying to open the program up to any sort of leadership, from clubs to student governments!” His journey with CASL has taught him the importance of collaboration and developing leadership through personal growth. CASL is a great way to learn more about leadership and develop personal connections with people from all over California, so we all recommend you join the CASL family.

**Please check out Ericson’s brochure, he actually cried over it multiple times: https://secure.cada1.org/files/Website/CASL/2019%20Conference/CASL%20Rapids%202019%20Web%20brochure%20.pdf