The Brooklyn Nets: A New Powerhouse in the NBA

By Nilesh Kumar, Staff Writer

With the 2021-22 NBA season underway, as of December 22, 2020, the NBA is heating up and looking better than ever before. The league appears to be shifting from the Warriors and Cavaliers legacy to possibly LA domination. The LA Lakers and Clippers are both looking to be the most promising teams in the league. The 76ers, led by Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid, are also having a great start to their season, as they lead the Eastern Conference in the standings. Following the mid-season transfer of James Harden, the Brooklyn Nets are looking to be one of the most promising teams in the NBA this season.

Led by all-stars Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving, the Brooklyn Nets have an excellent roster. With the addition of former MVP James Harden, the log is looking very promising. Basketball enthusiast and Quartz Hill High School sophomore Benjamin Hardani states, “The league this year is looking pretty good for us LA fans, with the Clippers and Lakers being the favorites to win it all. With James Harden’s transfer to the Brooklyn Nets, combined with Irving and Durant, I can honestly see the Nets as a big contester to the Lakers for a championship.” The roster does not just end at those three-star players, as they have experience in the likes of DeAndre Jordan and Joe Harris. Jordan is an aggressive defender and rebounder who can provide the ball to Harden and Irving. Harris is a sharpshooter who solidifies the roster, making it arguably the strongest team in the NBA, roster wise.

Despite the team’s talent, the Nets have not seen much success at the start of the season. With Durant not being able to play a few games due to injury and the team’s evident lack of chemistry, the Nets have lost nearly half of their games. Their current record is 9-8, which is commendable, though it should be much better for the roster they boast. Hardani states, “You would expect that the combination of Durant, Irving, and Harden to be unstoppable… but it isn’t. They haven’t done as well as they should be doing, and I think it’s due to a lack of team chemistry, given that the team hasn’t been together for all that long.”

In all, the NBA is something that we should be keeping our eyes on. With many transfers and teams looking sharper than ever before, the season is one we should follow. For more news and opinions regarding the NBA and sports in general, remember to keep reading the QHHS Ubiquity!