Girl’s Football Flag Team

The girl’s flag football team has made a statement in their first year at Quartz Hill High School. Ranking seventeenth in the nation, twelfth in California, and seventh in the southern section, The girl’s flag football team is making history. Starting earlier this summer, they have been training and working hard and growing together.

The girls have been really excited about their season and they have been really happy to make history. Endina Sepulveda, the quarterback and captain of the team said “ The season has been really exciting and fun. We’re undefeated so far so that’s pretty cool.” She also said something about her team’s success saying, “I think it’s amazing, especially since we’re a brand new team and some of us had never played before.” Sepulveda has had three touchdown passes this season so far and has thrown 287 yards for completion. Brandee Hollins, who is another captain for the team, is positioned for running back and defensive back and said, “It feels great to be part of a team that’s making history! Aside from the success that we’ve had, the progression of our team is what makes it so fun!” Hollins was the player of the game in an 18-0 win against Palmdale High School. She has had an amazing season so far with 64 rushing yards, 147 receiving yards, six tackles, and three interceptions. 

The girls have also said what they enjoyed most about flag football. Sepulveda said, “My favorite things about flag football is throwing a touchdown pass and bonding with all my teammates.” Hollins said, “Flag football has turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected. My main sport is track and with that, there’s only one focus which is running. However, with flag football, it feels like there are so many tasks and opportunities. I probably enjoy the feeling of making a touchdown the most because it almost feels like I’m giving my team reassurance.”

The girls also have plans for the future of their team and for themselves. Hollins says she can see herself playing collegiate flag football saying, “I can personally see myself continuing to play flag football in college.” As for the team’s future, she said “I am looking forward to seeing our team’s fullest potential in tough situations […] We anticipate to play our hardest throughout the season and until the end. I am also looking to set the expectation high for next year’s flag football team.”  The girls are looking for a Golden League title this year with Sepulveda stating, “ We’re aiming for that Golden League title!”

The 3-0 girls have upcoming games this weekend with their first game against Jserra Catholic at the El Toro High School Tournament. After that, they come back to League games with another game against Lancaster High School next Monday.