Royals Football Beats Highland In League Championship

Senior Kicker, Jeffrey Kavanagh, taking his approach for a successful field goal attempt

For the first time in 6 years, the Royals Football Team had finally beaten their rivals, Highland High School, and they couldn’t have picked a better time to do it. In the last game of the regular season, Quartz Hill High School and Highland High School were matched up and were competing for the Golden League title. Both teams had phenomenal records leading up to the championship, but the Royals were determined to make history. 

The championship game took place on October 27, 2023. There was so much tension between the teams and the stands; it was unlike any other game this season. The first quarter is a go, and the Royals start off hot as they forced a turned possession over on downs. They then get a rushing touchdown after the turnover, making the game 7-0 with a successful field goal attempt from Jeffrey Kavanagh. However, the second quarter was a different story for the Royals. The Bulldogs responded with a pass completed for a touchdown but missed their field goal attempt, making it 7-6. Not too long after, Highland got a rushing touchdown and obtained a 2-point conversion rush just after, ending the first half with a score of 7-14. 

Similarly to the first quarter, the Royals forced a turned possession and grabbed another rushing touchdown and successful field goal attempt 10 minutes into the third quarter. It was then all tied up at 14-14. On Highland’s next possession, the Royals incredibly forced a fumble off of a lousy handoff from Highland. They obtained yet another touchdown with the extra point afterward, scoring 21-14 with one quarter left to go. In the last quarter, the Royals were able to fend off all of Highland’s possessions, winning against their rivals for the first time in 6 years and going into the CIF Playoffs on a good note.  This game was more than just a championship for the league title for the Royals. This victory showed them that they can compete against high caliber teams who are in much higher divisions than them. Highland High School is Division 9 this year and is a top competitor in their bracket, so this goes to show that Quartz Hill is not to be overlooked.  “The team’s morale is about as high as I have ever seen it all year. After the win against Highland in the championship game, everyone realized just how special this team really is.” Varsity kicker and Senior Jeffrey Kavanagh answered.

The Royals will now compete in the D11 CIF Playoffs as the number 1 seed. “Our main focus is the same as always: winning one game every week and giving everything we have each time.” Nathan Strean, the Senior defensive end, answered. Their first CIF game took place on November 3rd against Gahr High School at home, and the Royals took the win with a score of 28-7. Their next match will be against Linfield Christian, with the location still to be decided. Let’s wish them luck and hope they bring back another banner and ring for the school! Go Royals!