Madame Web

Madame+Web
Picture by Judy Lee

The new 2024 superhero film, Madame Web, has received a plethora of mixed emotions and reviews. Madame Web is based on a comic book hero who has now been brought to life in a live-action film. The film stars Dakota Johnson alongside Syndey Sweeny, Celeste O’Connor, Isabela Merced, Tahar Rahim, Mike Epps, Emma Roberts, Adam Scott, and many more. The storyline follows Cassie Webb, played by Dakota Johnson, as she confronts the past while simultaneously trying to save three women from the villain Ezekiel Sims, played by Tahar Rahim. Madame Web is a crucial character in Spider-Man lore and has been portrayed in several different films regarding the Spider-Man universe thus far. 

Many people have very strong opinions regarding the most recent movie that has been made about this less popular Marvel superhero. The significant divide between the one-star and five-star reviews is wildly dramatic. They range from the absolute best film ever created to several viewers claiming that the film does not deserve any stars. Rotten Tomatoes has rated the film 13% and claims the plot is too “predictable.” Many of the viewers do not stray too far from this claim and severely criticize the movie in written reviews. The overall viewer rating of the film is currently 2.6 stars, with the majority being one-star reviews. 

Many five-star reviews emphasize that Madame Web met and exceeded their expectations. It is safe to assume that many people who watched the film are previous Marvel fans, understand the format and style that Marvel movies are made in, and do not expect to be astonished by the film. Some of the four and five-star reviews even mention that they comforted them out as they remember the superhero from childhood. 

Although some of the reviews were heartwarming, the majority of the reviews argued the complete opposite. As stated, people saw this movie as too “predictable.” Many believe that the use of excessive cliches is unnecessary and, frankly, boring. Others say that the acting in the movie was extremely unimpressive. One review went as far as saying that the acting was “on par with a high school student film.” 

Overall, Madame Web has left viewers with mixed emotions and strong opinions on the director’s stylistic choices. However, it is important to form your opinion after watching the movie.