The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change

Picture by Pranesh Kumar

Picture by Pranesh Kumar

By Pranesh Kumar, Staff Writer

Quartz Hill High School is one of the oldest and most proficient high schools in the Antelope Valley. Its history dates all the way back to 1964, and it has plenty to be proud of in its 54 years of existence. However, a major controversy at Quartz Hill has been Johnny Rebel, a former Confederate soldier and the school’s mascot. After the backlash the school received last year regarding Johnny Rebel’s Confederate history, it was decided that this year, a new mascot will be instated. Despite Johnny Rebel’s significance in the history of Quartz Hill, there should be no complaints about the decision to remove him from his position as the school’s mascot.

The new mascot Quartz Hill is working on adopting this year can be found on the QHHS website as well as on the school posters and ID’s. The icon gives the impression of a cowboy: a man with a yellow bandana around his neck and a blue cowboy hat.

In the eyes of some people, Johnny Rebel’s militant confederate background should be overlooked. Some spectators have opined that the original Johnny Rebel was the mascot since the school was created and that he is the reason Quartz Hill students became known as the “Rebels.” He has played a major role in the school’s history; one of the main reasons why his “contributions” are still remembered is his status as the school’s mascot. Many schools with extensive histories, including the Ivy Leagues, have mascots that serve as an indication of their history.

Along with the historical relevance of Johnny Rebel, it can also be argued that the new mascot is not representative of a real rebel. The image can easily be compared to that of a cowboy, and one could justify that QHHS students might be considered the Quartz Hill “Cowboys” instead of the Quartz Hill “Rebels.” However, there are characteristics of the new mascot that make it very similar to what Johnny Rebel was supposed to represent. The new icon has a familiarly stern face and a blue and yellow uniform similar to what was worn by the old mascot. Aside from these similarities, the ambiguity of the image makes it so that it can’t be associated with the controversial past of Johnny Rebel. The school’s new mascot cannot be considered “hypocritical,” which is especially important considering how much diversity and inclusiveness is supposed to mean to Quartz Hill.

Quartz Hill has a unique community which continues to grow in diversity every year. In fact, Quartz Hill has one of the highest diversity rates in the Antelope Valley according to many review sites. It therefore seemed hypocritical and offensive to many students that the school had represented their diversity with a mascot that also represents racism and white supremacy. This is the main reason so much criticism was voiced last year by students, parents, and teachers of QHHS. By changing the mascot, students in racial minority groups can go to school without worrying that their school is represented by a Confederate icon.

It cannot and should not be debated that Johnny Rebel was an important figure in Quartz Hill. Having him as the school’s mascot was welcomed for many years, and the image of the soldier folding his arms became almost iconic. However, considering the many recent issues with diversity, now is the right time for change.

Pranesh Kumar, Staff Writer

Hello, Rebels! My name is Pranesh Kumar, and I’m really looking forward to being a writer for the QHHS Ubiquity! I am in the shadow of a long list of...

• The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change

Opinion

Is Taking College Classes Worth It for High Schoolers?

• The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change

Opinion

Some People Are Too Old to Vote

• Opinion

Should We Be Scared?

• The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change

Opinion

Do High Schools Really Prepare Students for the Future?

• The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change

Opinion

Erasing History in the AP World

• The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change

Opinion

Black Cats Aren’t Bad Luck

• The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change

Opinion

The New NAFTA isn’t New

• The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change

Opinion

The Land of the Free… Or Not

• The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change

Opinion

Kanye for President 2020: Why We should Study Pop Culture

• The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change

Opinion

Is Brett Kavanaugh Fit to Be a Supreme Court Justice?

The Ethics of QHHS’s Mascot Change