Summer Recommendation List

By Alex Kim, Staff Writer

Film is an extremely versatile art form, thus there is always something new to watch. Since summer is coming up, many students will supposedly have a lot of free time. In this article, multiple movies from all different genres will give bored students something amazing to watch over summer. The films feature action, romance, comedy, horror, and drama. Do not let the article title confuse you, as some of these movies do not take place during the summer. They are, however, good ways to kill time over the break.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is an Ang Lee kung fu film from 2000 that is lavished with very high praise. The fights are well choreographed and it’s incredible to watch all the action. There is no other film with action scenes nearly as impressive as those from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. The only real problem with the film is that the plot isn’t particularly strong. Despite this one issue, it is truly one of the coolest movies ever made.

Romance movies are some of the most difficult films to get right because of the talent it takes to write good chemistry between two characters. So, good romance movies are extremely hard to come across. Her is a near-perfect romance movie by Spike Jonze, released in 2013. It has some of the best chemistry between two characters in any romantic film. Considering that the audience never sees one of the two characters in love, it’s spectacular how well the relationship in the movie is developed.

What We Do in the Shadows is a 2014 vampire comedy film directed by Taika Waititi who is most notable for directing Thor: Ragnarok in 2017. However, What We Do in the Shadows could be considered as more entertaining. It is shot in a mock- documentary style, similar to that of The Office, but with vampires. The film is extremely funny, and the plot develops in ways that the audience doesn’t expect. It’s one of the best comedy/vampire films to ever be released.

There is an overabundance of drama films that are released every year, but the better ones shine out in their midst. The Grand Budapest Hotel is one of Wes Anderson’s highest regarded films. It’s extremely fun, comedic, tense, and interesting. It’s basically everything that someone could want out of a movie. It is not only one of the best dramas ever made, but it is also one of the best films ever made in general.

This recommendation list is purely subjective and not all of the films will be for everyone, especially because with the exception of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, all of the listed movies are rated R. However, Crouching Tiger, The VVitch, and Her are all on Netflix, so they can easily be watched by most people. Although some of the films may not be particularly special to every viewer, there is at least one film that can be recognized as a work of art to everyone who watches these films.