Girls’ Soccer Closes Their Season

Girls’ Soccer Closes Their Season

Picture by Kristian Ramones

As the Spring season approaches, the Winter sports of Quartz Hill High School finish their seasons in the CIF Playoffs. One of the teams is Girls’ Soccer. The team had a great run throughout the Golden League season, finishing with no losses and only one tie to Pete Knight High School (13-0-1). They were, once again, the Golden League Champions and did not let off the pedal going into the CIF Playoffs. 

In the first round of the playoffs, the girls faced off against Chaminade High School on Wednesday, February 8. The match occurred at our home field, and the girls took home the victory with a 2-1 score. Junior, Riley Lang, and senior, Haylee Patino, were responsible for nipping this tight win and scoring the two goals. The girls had 4 shot attempts, and 6 saves by sophomore Taylor Meece. 

Going into the second round, the girls were confident and excited to play an away game against La Habra High School. The match took place on Friday, February 10th. La Habra was the first team to score in the 17th minute of the game and had held off our girls for the first half. The second half was quite a different story, though. Katelynn Kott, a junior and the top scorer for their team (26 goals), scored in the 49th minute of the game. Freshman, Isabella Jatico, followed up with another goal eight minutes later. Kott once again scored the final goal in the 83rd minute, making the final score 3-1. 

It was time to lock in and get ready for the third round of CIF (Quarterfinals). When asked what her mindset was going into the quarterfinals, defender Riley Lang answered, “We were proud of ourselves with how far we’ve come, especially with always being the underdogs since no one believed we’d make it this far. We came to the quarter-finals knowing it wasn’t going to be an easy game, but we knew we had to keep pushing through no matter what. Our preparation and training came in handy going into CIF. From our 7 AM practices to our after-school practices, rain or shine, we were dedicated to the game. Now that we know what we’re capable of, our goal is to make it to the finals!” 

Sadly the girls lost in the quarterfinals against Bishop Amat High School. The final score was 3-0. Bishop Amat, a formidable opponent, took first place in the Del Ray league and took advantage of our girls’ mistakes throughout the entire game. 

Although the girls lost in the third round, they were able to prove to themselves and those who doubted them that they could play. The girls will have a very talented team next year that will consist of many seniors, meaning much more experienced players. They will only lose four seniors this year, but nonetheless, they will be a team to be reckoned with next season.