Why Is Our Sports Attendance So Low?

One of the most significant aspects of the American high school experience is the indescribable environment that high school sports bring us. From the late Friday night light games in the fall, to packed gyms for basketball games in the winter, one of the most significant factors that contribute to the game is the environment. The rumble of crowds brings a different feeling to the games unlike any other. There is no other feeling like watching the final minutes of a game with the entire crowd on their feet, biting their nails for the next point or play. However, if everyone strives for this feeling, why do we need help to keep up with other schools’ sporting attendance? 

The most significant factor contributing to a school’s sporting success and attendance is its student section’s ability to bring support and school spirit. Highland High School is one of the most infamous schools known for this in the Antelope Valley. Students express their school spirit through their constantly packed football games and pep rallies. Highland cheerleader Imani Rivera stated, “Friday night lights make our school feel even more united. We are all there for the same reason: to support our team. We all unite… to help lead them to victory.”

To coincide with Highland, many of our students at Quartz Hill feel less connected to the school and games than other high schools. We often need more energy and motivation to attend the games. Furthermore, as students, we almost always say the same about our sporting events. “I will only go if you go.” 

As students, we rely on fellow students and friends to attend the games to create a better social environment while watching the game. One of the best ways to enhance the motivation to improve attendance is by bringing the school together through school spirit, similar to Highland. 

Nevertheless, attendance creates a better environment and shows our athletes our respect and admiration for them. Attendance brings our fans and athletes closer together. Varsity shooting guard Jalen Ignacio expressed, “It shows every person that plays sports that people care about supporting their peers.” 

On the other hand, as athletes of the game, nearly all players come to the consensus that the noise of yelling parents and heckling students throughout the game brings the sport together. This environment created by fans makes sports more entertaining to watch and play. 

Varsity Quartz Hill Quarterback Dylan Marchant added, “The crowd can affect you positively…and negatively, they can put you down. But that is when you have to lock in and block out the outside noise.” 

Attendance plays one of the most significant roles in sports, which is what almost every American high school student aspires for. The late nights hanging out with friends, while the band plays in the background, and fans yelling create an American culture for teens as they grow up. Additionally, athletes worldwide love the support and pressure that fans bring to the games. Looking up into packed stands between plays while drenched in sweat is one of the most energizing feelings in all sports. Nevertheless, we must show up to captivate these moments in time and recreate them. The constant low attendance and soft crowds do not allow us to recreate these moments. In order to change this, it is up to you. Your decision to go to the game creates a snowball effect that allows us to create a better environment during sporting events. Instead of you texting your friends, “I’ll go if you go,” embrace the “I’ll be there in five.”