Quartz Hill Royals VS. Hart Indians: First Home Game Of The Pre-season

Picture by Abbie Vilcapoma

On Friday, August 18, the Royals varsity football team had their first non-league home game against Hart High School. The Royals needed to make a statement in this game to set the tone for the rest of the season. Quartz Hill High School had an improved team this season, including Adonyss Currie, a four-star recruit, a six-time American track champion from Golden Valley High School, and a new quarterback, Dylan Marchant, and a new MLB, Max Gunter. This makes it the second year for head coach Russell Gordon, with his last season going 9-2. The Royals have high expectations and hopes for this next season.

It was a great battle. Both teams played to their best ability and showed remarkable skills. The Royals were the only team with an interception and had two sacks.

It was a defensive battle until 16 seconds left in the third quarter. Hart High scored on a passing play into the endzone. With Hart scoring first, it demotivated the Royals. That being said, even though Hart was in Quartz Hill’s head, they needed to keep their heads up and win this game.

Royal’s defense was fighting hard in the fourth quarter but gave up another touchdown on a passing play. With 3:47 left in the fourth quarter, 14-0, the Royals needed a miracle. Adonyss Currie catches the ball on a kickoff return and starts running down the field. He watches where the defense comes from as he slows down and scans the field. As he sees a gap, he sprints through it. Adonyss splits the defense and dusts everyone behind him. Adonyss scores a touchdown to put the Royals on the board, and the team is now fired up, wanting to win this game.

Nearing the end of the quarter, the Royals needed a turnover fast. Quartz Hill’s wishes would be granted after stopping Hart’s offense with 2:38 left in the quarter. Royal’s offense started rough, but an impressive 34-yard catch by Adonyss Currie allowed hope for Quartz Hill. Royal’s offense needs this touchdown to tie the game and go into overtime.

With the game nearing its end, Hart’s defense wouldn’t budge, and the Royals could not capitalize on their significant yard gain. The game ended 14-7. It was a hard-fought game. The Royals proved themselves with an impressive defense and offense against a difficult school like Hart High.