Renaissance World Tour: Beyoncé

Picture by Catherine Le

If your TikTok “For You” page is anything like mine, you all know Beyoncé’s most recent and ongoing Renaissance World Tour. And if you’re anything like me, you are also extremely jealous of everyone who went. Beyoncé has been a music icon since the 1990s and is even more popular today. 

The Renaissance World Tour is her ninth concert tour, with dates ranging from May 10, 2023, to October 1, 2023, making her tour almost six months long. Even with all the traveling and concerts multiple nights in a row, Beyoncé still manages to put on a show and entertain the crowd every time. Some aspects of her concerts have gone viral on social media apps, especially TikTok, and have helped increase the tour’s popularity and income. Not only is the Renaissance Tour her highest-grossing tour, but its gross estimation of $560 million makes it the highest-grossing tour put on by a female artist and places her popularity among artists such as Harry Styles and Elton John. But it’s not just the success and income that make Beyoncé’s tour great. Instead, the production, music, dancing, and crowd interaction exemplify Beyoncé’s talents and prove why she’s such a global icon.

Although I couldn’t see her concert in person, I can see from videos and pictures that the production is elaborate, immersive, and most likely very expensive. There is a portion of the show where she performs with two robotic arms, estimated to cost $100,000 each. Along with the stage design, lighting, special effects, and designer costumes, Beyoncé is likely spending millions just to put on her shows. Moreover, it is paying off since we can see how much fun people are having at her shows.

The setlist and choreography during the show were also top-notch. She hired many talented dancers, such as the famous Les Twins, and even brought her daughter to dance with her on stage. She had dancers swinging back and forth on tall poles, almost reaching the audience. Her team clearly put a lot of thought and effort into choosing the dancers and choreographing the show. And as for her music and setlist, Beyoncé performed some of her greatest hits and sang them all perfectly. She has a remarkable stage presence that anyone watching can admire.

Lastly, the tour’s element of crowd interaction was perhaps the most significant part of why it went viral. You might have seen the ‘mute challenge’ go viral on social media, but if you haven’t, it is a part of the show where Beyoncé challenges her audience to go completely silent for a while. This challenge has sparked competition between the different tour dates and cities and is a big reason why the tour became a media sensation.

All in all, Beyoncé’s Renaissance World Tour was a hit, and there is nothing I can say to critique it. I am only upset about how expensive the tickets were and how I couldn’t go. But, to all the people who went, I am confident they had a great time.