Season 3 of The Great

Nothing on TV these days is nearly as wild as The Great. Of course, there are many historical dramas, but none embrace the genre like Hulu’s comedy. The show’s strength has continually been transforming the tragic life story of Russia’s Empress, Catherine the Great, into a nearly false narrative. Since Tony McNamara, the show’s creator and writer, accepts that it’s not an accurate tale, The Great can create fantastical stories about Catherine (Elle Fanning), who must navigate the court’s histrionics to maintain her position of power.

Because of its sharp tone, the program is a heated blend of major coming-of-age adventure, charming love tale, and political satire. Although balancing these responsibilities elegantly is complex, the actors and crew do a fantastic job staying on course. Her marriage progressively raises the stakes for Catherine to Peter, friendships, and diplomatic threats. The joy is maintained even as the story has a darker tone.

It was only successful because Fanning took the lead. She has always been attracted as the Empress, earning her a legitimate contender for an Emmy in 2022. She doesn’t hold back in season three—this is her most significant performance yet. As Catherine navigates catastrophes, an insurrection, parenthood, her team gradually disintegrating, and continuous lust, Fanning reaches extraordinary heights. She perfectly captures the lingering anguish, uncontrollably high confidence, and manic energy of her character (episode six, in particular, is a highlight). She was destined for this part—a sly, lustful queen prepared to save an old-fashioned empire.

Although the season remains a tremendous and emotional joyride, they may get monotonous. Some plots, like the one that revolves around whether Catherine’s supporters can be trusted in the end, could be more varied since they have been since the show’s inception. The Great’s stunning set design, camerawork, and costumes by Sharon Long all contribute to its striking visual appeal. Jaffar Mahmood’s directing decisions support the show.

There’s a definite closure to The Great’s third-season finale. This might go on for years because of Catherine’s rule, but the spectacle ends here in spectacular fashion even if it doesn’t. Fanning gives a fearless act in the season finale that perfectly captures the essence of why McNamara’s show succeeds. It’s hilarious beyond belief, intense, captivating, and exceptionally humorous.